Problem with updated Soundmax HD audio driver: how to go to previous one? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I'm running Windows 7 enterprise on my HP Compaq 8710w and I'm experiencing a serious problem with my audio.

Problem starts with the fact that HP decided not to support my laptop on Windows 7. Meaning I must rely on Windows Update for all drivers.

This was no problem, everything runs great. However on October 1st, Windows Update installed an updated driver for my Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio.

All audio works, except with one application: a game. I've only one game installed (FEAR2) and it worked, just till the moment the new driver was installed: now I can't start it anymore.

I tried to find the previous driver, but searching for a soundmax driver is very difficult.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

Best regards

Koen
    • Changed type Koen D Sunday, November 1, 2009 9:55 AM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 9:54 AM

Answers

• Right-click on the device in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software... from which select Browse my computer for driver software and finally Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

You should then see all the drivers that are compatible with your hardware; the original drivers and any updated drivers that were installed. Just pick the one that looks most generic or has (Microsoft) listed next to it. Otherwise, just try each driver if they all have similiar names until one sticks.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, November 9, 2009 2:37 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to reinstall the game? Does tha audio work normally with other applications? If the issue is caused by updated driver, I would like to suggest you rolling back the audio driver to the previous version. To do this, please refer to the following steps:

Rollback the driver
    =============

1. Click the Start Button, type "Device Manager" in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. Double click to expand the "Sound,video and game controllers".
    3. Right click the "Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio"and click "Properties".
    4. Click the "Driver" tab and click "Roll Back Driver".

BTW, by default HP doesn't support driver in Windows 7 for your computer. To get the driver to be functioned normally in Windows 7, you may try to download the latest Windows Vista driver and install it in Windows Compatibility mode.

Disclaimer: we provide this link to download relevant driver, Microsoft doesn't control and guarantee this website, there may be some changes without notice.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, November 2, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Although I'm running an HP8530w here is a link for the EliteBook family HP Windows 7 drivers, including an updated Soundmax driver:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3781682&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3781677&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4058
    Monday, November 2, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Hello RegHack,

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the link, but it seems that the 8530w has another hardware audio platform than the 8710w. When I try to install the driver I receive an error message that it's not created for this hardware.

Koen
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:17 AM
  • Hello Dale,

Thanks for the support already. I'm afraid I tried to install already the Vista driver in comp mode, it is possible, but no succes running the game.

I was not aware of the possibility to rollback a driver. I tried the solution but I tried already too much for this solution... A pitty! If I did this immediately instead of trying all kind of solutions it might have worked....

thanks!

Koen

Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:20 AM
  • Right-click on the device in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software... from which select Browse my computer for driver software and finally Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

You should then see all the drivers that are compatible with your hardware; the original drivers and any updated drivers that were installed. Just pick the one that looks most generic or has (Microsoft) listed next to it. Otherwise, just try each driver if they all have similiar names until one sticks.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, November 9, 2009 2:37 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:54 AM