Exchange 2007 and Database Log Record Stalls per Second RRS feed

• Question

• I have an exchange 2007 environment that consists of 1 hub / cas server and 2 mailbox servers running CCR. I just recently got the following alert from my monitoring system.

Database Log Record Stalls per Second: 97272 on my backend mail server.

I have found the following explanation for this monitor. The Log Record Stalls/sec performance counter shows the number of log records that cannot be added to the log buffers per second because the log buffers are full.

My question is what are these 97272 log records? Are these mail items waiting to be recorded into memory on the mailbox server? Are these messages sitting on the hub transport server?

Also in order to recover from this error i had to reboot the server due to excessive paging, does this mean that the 97272 log records were lost?

Thanks

Mike luebbers
    Friday, April 22, 2011 12:33 PM

All replies

• When you have a log record stall, the data cannot be written to in memory log buffers because they are full.  They are full because they are not pluching to disk fast enough.  What happens to the data? It's not lost.  Exchange just sits there and waits until log buffers are available.  This means huge spikes in RPC latency which clients will definitely notice.  To resolve this, move your transaction logs to higher performance disk.

John

Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:04 AM
  • John,

Thanks for the reply, I guess the outstanding requests (97272 log records) waiting to be submitted are coming from the HUB server? Also once the exchange mailbox server has the resources it then processes the request?

thanks

Mike luebbers
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi mluebbers,

John gave some good explanation about the issue.
    And your understandings also are right, because of the low disk performance, the process could not write the email to the database from the log buffer ASAP, and the logbuffer is full.
    We should up the server box with more ram and high performance disk.
    Some information for you:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996607(EXCHG.80).aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997270(EXCHG.65).aspx

Regards!
    Gavin
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:15 AM