SharePoint Designer 2010 - Not working properly RRS feed

• Question

• I sequenced SharePoint Designer 2010 in app-v 4.6 SP1. The app opens fine and works as expected except for one issue. When I try to use the "Edit in SharePoint Designer" option from a Sharepoint site, it doesn't open the site in SD but instead it prompts to download SharePoint Designer. What am I missing?
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:27 PM

All replies

• Are you opening Internet Explorer from within the SharePoint Designer package? Have you installed the Office 2010 proxies for App-V?

App-V will isolate the application from the OS, so unless you have done either of the above, it won't work.

More info in these KB articles: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983462http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2481474

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:05 PM
  • I did add a shortcut to IE in the SharePoint Designer package (still doesn't work from here), but I haven't set up the proxies.  I'll give that a shot and see what happens.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:45 PM
  • I resequenced everything according to the guide.  I followed everything and ran this on my client:

msiexec /i c:\OffVirt.msi ADDDEFAULT=Click2runOWSSuppProxies PACKAGEGUID={30C94308-4B99-4906-BC5E-E8D1693C9180} PACKAGEVERSION=14.0.4750.1000 OWSSUPPServer="Microsoft SharePoint Client Support Manager"  

I've also tried installing using the longer command line in the article and still no luck.  I still get the Download prompt whenever I click on Edit in SharePoint Designer.  Do I have to have IE sequenced with it, or should it work with the local copy of IE?  I'm using the 4.6 SP1 sequencer on a Win7 x64 machine.

I just seem to be missing something still.  I've sequenced this app about 10 different times so far and still can't get it.  I've done Office 2010 according to the recipe in the past and it has worked fine and integrated with SharePoint libraries without issue.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Maybe it's not the package, try a client different client instead.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:44 PM
  • I'm not quite sure what you mean.  If you mean, try installing SharePoint Designer locally and seeing if that makes a difference, then yes, I've done that and it works just fine.  I've also tried the virtual package on another test machine with the same results.

Even when I launch IE that's sequenced with the package, it doesn't work.  Have you ever sequenced this and gotten the Edit in SharePoint Designer feature to work?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Maybe it's not the package, try a client client instead.

Typo - I meant different client.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Also see this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/ecb402b0-8c03-43f7-82d6-f350d2417959

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Tried the command lines in that post and still no luck.

Can anyone confirm that what I am trying to do is supported and actually works?  As far as I can tell, IE doesn't see SharePoint Designer on the machines, whether I run IE inside or outside the bubble.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Hi

Is it something the file format extension is not configured properly for the files from sharepoint to openwith in the OSD?

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Sivatej.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:22 AM
  • As far as I can tell, the website checks the system for the existence of SPD, not file type associations, so I really don't think that's the issue.

-Adam

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Hello,

Have you used PROCMON to determine how the sharepoint is trying to locate Sharepoint Designer?
    /Znack
    Monday, July 18, 2011 1:30 PM
  • yes, with no success.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Hello,

When you say with no success - what does that mean?

Process Monitor reveals all system activity - so everything you do will show up there. Of course - it will not know what you are looking for, so there is no way for Process Monitor will know what YOU are looking for.

Did you manage to capture all system activity and locate what registry keys and files was beeing accessed when a sharepoint site is calling Sharepoint Designer?
    Is there a difference between a local installation and a virtualized instance?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:31 PM