Windows Computer Explorer (not browser) shuts down on right click RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ... after opening windows computer explorer which lists all drives, folders. files, etc. if I RIGHT CLICK on a file to copy, move, delete, etc. it the computer explorer ghosts and stops functioning. When I click the "X" to close the computer explorer I get a small window with choices to Close the Program, Restart the Program or Let Windows attempt to correct the program.

I close the program and then reopen the computer explorer (open the program again) it works correctly. The program only malfunctions the first time I boot my computer.

Thank you,

Robert

• Changed type Dale Qiao Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:19 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 3:59 PM

Answers

• Often, instabilities in Windows Explorer are attributable to faulty shell extensions and addons. 

Consider using Sysinternals Autoruns or ShellExView. Disable non-Microsoft shell extensions and add-ons, and check the behavior.  If it is gone, re-enable the disabled extensions/add-ons, one at a time, and see if you can identify which may be responsible.

Try a clean boot, or boot into safe mode.  Does the behavior persist?
    • Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, May 24, 2010 1:39 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Additionally, Windows Explorer freezing can be caused by incompatible driver. You may try a Device Clean Boot:

1)    Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter.

2)    Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3)    Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4)    Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK

5)    Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

6)    Please restart the computer.

Best Regards

Dale

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:22 AM

All replies

• Often, instabilities in Windows Explorer are attributable to faulty shell extensions and addons. 

Consider using Sysinternals Autoruns or ShellExView. Disable non-Microsoft shell extensions and add-ons, and check the behavior.  If it is gone, re-enable the disabled extensions/add-ons, one at a time, and see if you can identify which may be responsible.

Try a clean boot, or boot into safe mode.  Does the behavior persist?
    • Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:22 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Additionally, Windows Explorer freezing can be caused by incompatible driver. You may try a Device Clean Boot:

1)    Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter.

2)    Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3)    Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4)    Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK

5)    Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

6)    Please restart the computer.

Best Regards

Dale

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:22 AM