Shared files and printers in Windows server 2008 not reading when accessed by a domain user from windows xp client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed Windows server 2008 on my server which acts as a domain controller. All my client machines are on windows xp professional. I have shared some folders on the server, enabled file server, given complete access to all the users. When i login from the client workstation running on XP service pack 3, i am able to open the folders, see the files in it but not able to open the files. I am able right click and create a new text file from the client and open it with notepad but not able to run any other applications.

Is there any problem in networking between XP and Server 2008?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you try to open the files, for example a word document, do you get any kind of error message in Word?
    Or is the system unresponsive and doesen't open Word at all?

"Not able to run any other application" do you mean that the application is on the XP workstation and you try to access a network stored file or are you trying to run an application over the network?

- To verify if it is not an permission problem, set the "Share Permissions" to Everyone Full Control and the "NTFS permissions" to Everyone Full Control
    - Verify if there is no special permissions configured

I'm thinking you can open the notepad.txt file because you are the owner of the file. So maybe we should look into that direction.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Friday, November 27, 2009 9:51 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:21 PM