Accessing the Recycle Bin via Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I run a no-icon desktop and have noticed in the RC that I can not seem to access the Recycle Bin via Windows Explorer as has previously been the case. Thus making it, in my experience so far, impossible to empty the Recycle Bin without turning on Desktop Icons to do it, and then turning them off again when finished.

I have found a work-around that is quite simple to setup, add a Favourates Shortcut to Windows Explorer, but I wondering with there is a setting somewhere now that needs activating/deactivating to have Windows Explorer show the Recycle Bin as one the the items in the Navigation Panel under Computer?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:04 PM

Answers

• You can just drag it to another folder and it will create a shortcut. It will work just like the recycle bin, but it will have a little shortcut icon. Put it wherever you want on your computer.

- Nick
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:50 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:52 AM

All replies

• Where are you used to seeing it in explorer?  On my computer, it appears on the "root", which is in fact the Desktop.

It would seem to be in the Registry under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder, as HideOnDesktopPerUser (REG_SZ).  On my machine the value is empty.  But you already know how to disable and enable Desktop Icons.

You can make a shortcut to the Recycle Bin and put it where you want.  With it enabled on the desktop, right click, drag and drop it where you want the shortcut to be.  Select "Create shortcut here".
    • Marked as answer by Mark L. Ferguson Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by vbmdsm Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:14 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:16 AM
  • There are a couple ways to access the Recycle Bin:

1.) Through the Navigation Pane, I believe you might have to turn on "Show all folders" or whatever.

2.) Going to the "Desktop" folder, the one just above "Computer".

3.) The folder icon to the left of the breadcrumb bar has a dropdown arrow next to it, click that and Computer , Network , User folder , and Recycle Bin should appear in a small menu along with anything you have on your desktop.

4.) I access my Recycle Bin via a button I placed on my Jump List usually.
    • Marked as answer by Mark L. Ferguson Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by vbmdsm Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by fahrvergnügen Friday, June 26, 2009 5:30 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Under both Vista and XP, the Recycle Bin is found in the Navigation Panel of Windows Explorer - on my Vista PC the Navigation Panel shows Drives, Network, Control Panel and then Recycle Bin .

I have the Show all Folders option turned on, but this does not affect the Showing of the Recycle Bin in Windows Explorer.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:15 PM
  • vbmdsm,

By what means did you hide the Recycle Bin? Try using one or the other method listed in this tutorial , as they may still allow you to access it via Windows Explorer.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:43 PM
  • After enabling "show all folders", the navigation panel in the Explorer window looks the same as Vista, on my computer.  Except, I can no longer hide Favorites by dragging its size to zero.  It is as you describe, below Network, under the "root" Desktop folder.

I no longer see the Control Panel here, although it is still on the desktop.

There does seem to be something wrong here.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:50 PM
  • When the Recycle Bin is visible on the Desktop, left-click and drag the icon  image to the TaskBar near the Start button. If you have Aero, you'll see a message "Pin to Windows Explorer".

Then open Windows Explorer and you'll see the Recycle Bin on the DeskTop from the left column.

Now you can opt to not display the Desktop Icon. Contol Panel>Appearance and Personalization> Personalization and select >Change Desktop Icons>Uncheck Recycle Bin.

Work for you?
    • Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:00 AM
  • You can just drag it to another folder and it will create a shortcut. It will work just like the recycle bin, but it will have a little shortcut icon. Put it wherever you want on your computer.

- Nick
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:50 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:52 AM
  • Vistaline said
    There are a couple ways to access the Recycle Bin:

1.) Through the Navigation Pane, I believe you might have to turn on "Show all folders" or whatever.

2.) Going to the "Desktop" folder, the one just above "Computer".

3.) The folder icon to the left of the breadcrumb bar has a dropdown arrow next to it, click that and Computer , Network , User folder , and Recycle Bin should appear in a small menu along with anything you have on your desktop.

4.) I access my Recycle Bin via a button I placed on my Jump List usually.

Friday, June 26, 2009 2:19 PM
  • When the Recycle Bin is visible on the Desktop, left-click and drag the icon  image to the TaskBar near the Start button. If you have Aero, you'll see a message "Pin to Windows Explorer".

Then open Windows Explorer and you'll see the Recycle Bin on the DeskTop from the left column.

Now you can opt to not display the Desktop Icon. Contol Panel>Appearance and Personalization> Personalization and select >Change Desktop Icons>Uncheck Recycle Bin.

Work for you?

After doing the above, I then opened Windows Explorer, and used the organize tab. I then selected "the show all folders" option, selected ok. The Recycle Bin now appears in the left Navigation Pane and the Icon is not visble on the desktop. I believe it is because I pinned it to win explorer by dragging it to the taskbar that it appears there.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:48 AM
  • axfelix, I have not hidden Recycle Bin from Explorer, the fact that it is not listed under Computer is the reason for this thread. I had a look at the Tutorial you linked to but I don't think it is exactly relavent as it assumes I want to do something to Hide or re-show a Hidden Recycle bin. In my case, I haven't done anything at all, just noticed that Explorer does not appear to list Recycle Bin anymore.

Nick FV, this is exactly what I have done, into the Favorates section of the Explorer Nav Panel.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:49 AM

- Nick
    Agreed, this is a solution, and the one I have used myself.

However, I had hoped that there was some way, without hacking the registry, to get the Recycle Bin displayed as it is in Vista and XP; under under the 'Computer' Section of Explorers Navigation Panel.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:00 PM
  • VERY GOOD!! It works in WIndows 7 Also,
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:15 PM