none
IPAM IP Addresses Inventory Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am currently testing out the Windows Server 2016 IPAM service. 

I already was able to add my DCs and DNS servers as well as a DHCP server.

I was able to retrieve all the server data related to DNS Zones and DHCP Scopes.

I created a few IP Address blocks related to some of our IP addresses in our environment.

After all of this, the information displayed in the IP Address Inventory makes little sense to me and I was wondering if someone around here could help me understand how this is working.

Is the information being retrieved only from the DHPC server or where else?

Shouldn't this fills out the IP Address also from the DNS zones?

Does it somehow validates that the IP address is actually responding or something?

I noticed from the documentation that it only retrieves data from MS systems too, so probably the other devices need to be added via a csv file.

Thanks for any answers provided for this.

Regards,

Eduardo R.

Eduardo Rojas

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Eduardo,

>>Is the information being retrieved only from the DHPC server or where else?

As far as I know, yes, it is.

>>Does it somehow validates that the IP address is actually responding or something?

The information of IP address is in IPAM database, you could check it by using IP address inventory.>>I noticed from the documentation that it only retrieves data from MS systems too, so probably the other devices need to be added via a csv file.

Yes, you are correct, when IPAM data is exported to a text file in CSV file.

For more information about IPAM, you could reference link below:

Managing IP Address Space

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj878303(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Eduardo,

>>Is the information being retrieved only from the DHPC server or where else?

As far as I know, yes, it is.

>>Does it somehow validates that the IP address is actually responding or something?

The information of IP address is in IPAM database, you could check it by using IP address inventory.>>I noticed from the documentation that it only retrieves data from MS systems too, so probably the other devices need to be added via a csv file.

Yes, you are correct, when IPAM data is exported to a text file in CSV file.

For more information about IPAM, you could reference link below:

Managing IP Address Space

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj878303(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Hi John,

thanks for your reply.

appreciate it!

Eduardo Rojas

Friday, April 7, 2017 8:19 AM