Windows 7 Locks up after sleep mode both Gamer PC and Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• First I have to say Windows 7 is basically perfect in every way. I really think they listened to the Vista problems and came up with a great OS. I cannot believe all the threads that are wishing for the old style and the old ugly 98 windows themes.

Anyway, I am in heaven with this new OS. I am using 64bit on my Acer Extensa 4420 and my game box with 4 gigs, ATI 4850, 500gigs, and AMD 5200. I have noticed that after I come out of sleep mode on both machines about a minute into using the machines they stop responding and completely freeze. I have not used 64bit before and this never happened in Vista 32bit on either machine. I know all my drivers are good on both systems is this possibly a 64bit problem or has anyone else had this problem? This OS is so much faster than Vista, I really like the sleep mode because it is instanlly back on when you resume. I hope this gets fixed or someone has a solution. This does not happen everytime. Just once in a while but often enough we have seen it on both machines.

Second question, I have a mas storage device driver missing. My Acer uses the O2 Micro device for the PCMCIA and SD slot, I downloaded the 64bit drivers from ACER but no luck on the mas storage device. Does anyone have a suggestion or has anyone had this problem.

Did I mention I am in Love with this OS. Cool taskbar with combining, great wallpapers, nice folder arangement so you can pic you tasks quicker, great ideas with the Network Homegroup, great multimedia options WOW I cant say enough. Good Job MS
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:15 AM

Answers

• Your sleep (chipset and ACPI drivers,) and the mass storage driver problems can only be addressed by the creator of the device by making a better driver. I would keep checking the Acer and ATI sites.

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:09 PM

All replies

• Please look into this!  Highly disconcerting!

I have a more serious example of the same problem in Windows 7 x64 RC, on a T7500 Core2Duo laptop with 2GB RAM and 750GB of combined HDD space, with a 3GB pagefile reserve.  I have not made any profound alterations at all to the RC package.

My installation does not recover from sleep or hibernation.  Resume begins, but within less than a minute, BSODs -- every time, without fail.  (I now have a pretty much chronic checkdisk run as a result, even though there are no dirty bits, per fsutil.)

I will be glad to send a minidump if you get in touch by email.

Thanks.

a.k.a.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Your sleep (chipset and ACPI drivers,) and the mass storage driver problems can only be addressed by the creator of the device by making a better driver. I would keep checking the Acer and ATI sites.

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:09 PM