none
Win2016 Hyper-V cluster: IBM tape-streamer on VM through Virtual Fibre Channel - NEED HELP :)

Question

• Guys, I've been trying to get Virtual Fibre Channel to work for a while following this tutorial.

We have an IBM Pureflex setup with 4 Hyper-V clusternodes running Windows server 2016 Datacenter and a tech from IBM was on location and configured the IBM Fibre switch as shown here

Our IBM TS3200 tape-streamer shows up fine on all 4 clusternodes as shown here. I went to Hyper-V manager and added a virtual SAN as shown here and left values default, and I added a virtual fibre channel on our System Center DPM 2016 VM (running Windows server 2016 std) as shown here

Been playing around with this quite a while now and I am not able to get the tape-streamer to appear on our VM no matter what. I am familiar with Hyper-V, clutsering, VMs etc but I am no expect on fibre channels. I suspect something is wrong with my addressing but I really don't know. All input, ideas or help is much appreciated. In advance, thank you.

• Edited by ptbNO Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:52 AM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:51 AM

Answers

• Hi, so to give an update and how this was solved:

First of all there is not that much resources to be found when searching for Virtual Fibre Channel setups except the excellent blog I posted above. So I ended up creating a support incident with Microsoft - which was closed by Microsoft around 24 hours later stating that "this would not work". Microsoft claimed the TS3200 tape streamer we are using is only supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 (despite IBM having drivers posted publicly up to Windows Server 2012 R2, go Microsoft!).

So the solution

I followed the tutorial on the blog above, created a new Fibre Channel in Hyper-V manager - Virtual SAN Manager, then went to Failover Cluster Manager and added the Fibre Channel Adapter on the VM. This gave me dynamic port addresses on the VM. 

The author of the blog pointed out that I needed to add the virtual server in the zone on fabric. Despite not being very skilled on fibre channel adressing I had a look at the fibre switch and located the Dynamic WWPN assigned to my Hyper-V VM. I added the dynamic WWPN address to the fabric zones created for my IBM Tape-streamer, voila - the tape streamer popped up within my Virtual DPM backup server instantly. 

Thanks for the feedback Udo. This seemed very tricky for a while but all in all, according to the blog author (who gave me the solution Microsoft couldn't come up with), any device with NPIV support should work with Virtual Fibre Channel in a similar setup as mine. 

• Marked as answer by ptbNO Friday, March 24, 2017 9:53 AM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 9:53 AM

All replies

• vFC is quite a tricky config as you need to check all components in the chain to support NPIV, means long list to check, FW, Drivers, SAN-Switches etc...

have done a few installs but never with Tapes and to be honest not sure if a Tape Library should really  be mapped to a full Cluster but that up to you.

The Page here states you need to check also with DPM Certified Devices and I personally would start talking to the Vendor if they support that config, otherwise you are always up to your self in case of problems.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831413.aspx

Tape library support

Virtual tape libraries configured with a virtual Fibre Channel adapter are only supported when using System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 R2 U3 or later with certified hardware. To determine if a tape library is supported by virtual Fibre Channel adapter, contact the tape library hardware vendor or run the DPM Tape Library Compatibility Test tool in a guest VM with the virtual tape library set as the target. For additional information about the DPM Tape Library Compatibility Test took, see Verify tape library compatibility.

Hyper-V Virtual Fibre Channel Troubleshooting Guide
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18698.hyper-v-virtual-fibre-channel-troubleshooting-guide.aspx

good luck

Udo

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Hi, so to give an update and how this was solved:

First of all there is not that much resources to be found when searching for Virtual Fibre Channel setups except the excellent blog I posted above. So I ended up creating a support incident with Microsoft - which was closed by Microsoft around 24 hours later stating that "this would not work". Microsoft claimed the TS3200 tape streamer we are using is only supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 (despite IBM having drivers posted publicly up to Windows Server 2012 R2, go Microsoft!).

So the solution

I followed the tutorial on the blog above, created a new Fibre Channel in Hyper-V manager - Virtual SAN Manager, then went to Failover Cluster Manager and added the Fibre Channel Adapter on the VM. This gave me dynamic port addresses on the VM. 

The author of the blog pointed out that I needed to add the virtual server in the zone on fabric. Despite not being very skilled on fibre channel adressing I had a look at the fibre switch and located the Dynamic WWPN assigned to my Hyper-V VM. I added the dynamic WWPN address to the fabric zones created for my IBM Tape-streamer, voila - the tape streamer popped up within my Virtual DPM backup server instantly. 

Thanks for the feedback Udo. This seemed very tricky for a while but all in all, according to the blog author (who gave me the solution Microsoft couldn't come up with), any device with NPIV support should work with Virtual Fibre Channel in a similar setup as mine. 

• Marked as answer by ptbNO Friday, March 24, 2017 9:53 AM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 9:53 AM