USB to Serial Converter problem win vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with a PNP device using an ATEN USB to Serial Converter.  My computer finds "new Hardware" then ask to download driver.  While trying to install driver it fails and shows this message:  The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.  Thus it doesn't install the driver.  Upon further checking online, I find suggestions telling me to remove any reference to the ATEN device in the Registry, but I don't find any entries to delete.   Can someone help me with this please?
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:43 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the tip...I tried your method, removed all the items in that device.  Re-installed all drivers but still have same problem.
    Dennis Lew
    • Marked as answer by Kapalualogo Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:38 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Found the fix......!  While in Regedit, I finally found a reference to ATEN and it was in a Services entry called ser2pl.  When I removed it and restarted computer with device attached, it found the PNP device and downloaded driver correctly.  Everything works fine now. 

Thanks for your help. 

Dennis Lew
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you reload the USB controller drivers.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Thanks for the tip...I tried your method, removed all the items in that device.  Re-installed all drivers but still have same problem.
    Dennis Lew
    • Marked as answer by Kapalualogo Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:38 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Found the fix......!  While in Regedit, I finally found a reference to ATEN and it was in a Services entry called ser2pl.  When I removed it and restarted computer with device attached, it found the PNP device and downloaded driver correctly.  Everything works fine now. 

Thanks for your help. 

Dennis Lew
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Glad the issue has been fixed. Thank you for your sharing. This will benefit other members in this forum.

Enjoy!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:54 AM
  • I had similar problem with one of those low-cost adapters from ebay. Tried the solution mentioned here but still not luck. Bought a new USB to Serial adapter, higher cost but apparently also better quality, it worked flawlessly.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 3:42 AM