Backup Plan for 50 users RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I would like to have some advice from you all. I have 50 clients in my office they are using Microsoft Windows XP Pro, Vista Home, Vista business and Win 7 Pro 32 bit and 64 bit OS. I wanna make well plan for back up all those files from each users. Is there any plan to back up well plan? Right now I am backuping up with CD/DVD for weekly and to tape drive I do monthly. I just did copy and paste to drive. I think that is wrong back up way. That's why I am planning to back up proper plan. Please kindly give me proper plan for back up.

With Regards,

White Star

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:46 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I agree with Suleyman. The easiest way is to use GP to redirect user's folders to the server and back up that directory. For this you will likely need a very large hard drive to back up to or a very, ver, very expensive autoloader. I would let user's know that they should not save random junk into their MyDocuments folders as backing up large storage data is costly. You could also have backup file exemptions like .mov, .avi, .exe so those types of files are not abcked up.

I think it's better to use a third party app like Backup Exec which will give you more gradient controls over the backups.

You can also backup up from user's workstations but that will create heavy LAN traffic during backup hours and depending on how much data, 12 hours may not get everyne backed up. You may have to do full backups on weekends and differential or incremental backups on weekdays if you back up the workstations directly.

The first way, to redirect folders, is my preferred method. You may not be able to do this with the Vista Home users because Vista Home will not be able to join a domain and use GPO's. Try going to the properties of the Documents and see if you can set a target locationm or look for a registry hack on-line. I don't know b/c I don't have much experience with home versions to know how to tweak it.

http://www.tech-faq.com/implementing-folder-redirection-using-group-policy.html

Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS
    Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL
    Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Saturday, October 2, 2010 11:44 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Check out Tweak UI. It will allow you to redirect Desktop, My Documents and others so that you just redirect it to a folder on the server where it cab be backed up. Just create a folder like \users and inside it create separate subfolders for each user. Then point each user's Desktop, MyDocuments, etc to that folder using TweakUI. This way you don't need GPO. It will just be labor intensive without the GPO because you will need to manually set up each users settings. Download TweakUI from here. 

Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS

Monday, September 27, 2010 4:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Must use third-party programs for backup. Collect users' files under a single server. Then, the file server, you should get backup. It is easier to recovery.

Friday, September 24, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Hello,

I agree with Suleyman. The easiest way is to use GP to redirect user's folders to the server and back up that directory. For this you will likely need a very large hard drive to back up to or a very, ver, very expensive autoloader. I would let user's know that they should not save random junk into their MyDocuments folders as backing up large storage data is costly. You could also have backup file exemptions like .mov, .avi, .exe so those types of files are not abcked up.

I think it's better to use a third party app like Backup Exec which will give you more gradient controls over the backups.

You can also backup up from user's workstations but that will create heavy LAN traffic during backup hours and depending on how much data, 12 hours may not get everyne backed up. You may have to do full backups on weekends and differential or incremental backups on weekdays if you back up the workstations directly.

The first way, to redirect folders, is my preferred method. You may not be able to do this with the Vista Home users because Vista Home will not be able to join a domain and use GPO's. Try going to the properties of the Documents and see if you can set a target locationm or look for a registry hack on-line. I don't know b/c I don't have much experience with home versions to know how to tweak it.

http://www.tech-faq.com/implementing-folder-redirection-using-group-policy.html

Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS

Friday, September 24, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Dear Miguel Fra and Surelyman

I am really thank to both of you. But the problem is we don't have domain. Some are home edition and some are pro. If we don't have domain any others good solution we have? Please help me answer for this..... thanks

White Star

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Check out Tweak UI. It will allow you to redirect Desktop, My Documents and others so that you just redirect it to a folder on the server where it cab be backed up. Just create a folder like \users and inside it create separate subfolders for each user. Then point each user's Desktop, MyDocuments, etc to that folder using TweakUI. This way you don't need GPO. It will just be labor intensive without the GPO because you will need to manually set up each users settings. Download TweakUI from here. 

Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS

Monday, September 27, 2010 4:03 AM
  • White Star,

There are lots of backup programs that you can use. One that we use is Backup Assist. It has a nice console from which you can monitor all of the jobs. It supports local and offsite backup. 

I echo the other recommendations to move all data to the server but unfortunately that won't work for email and database programs, for those you'll still need to backup the local machines.

Also, you might want to think about the concepts of RPO and RTO. You can learn about those concepts here: http://cxobriefing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64:business-continuity-establish-rpo-and-rto-for-it&catid=34:faq&Itemid=30

Eric 

myManagedBackup.com

Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:18 PM