RIS issue to remote site RRS feed

• Question

• We have RIS/WDS setup and fully working at our main office.  We have several VLANs (servers on one VLAN, printers on one VLAN, clients on another VLAN, etc) everything works without any issues at the main location where the servers are installed.  We have multiple remote locations connected with various links, our largest site is connected via a 1 gig fibre connection to our main location.  From the remote location, I can PXE boot a client successfully and go through the initial stages of the RIS setup on the client, it then begins the setup and starts to copy the files.  Every time the copy seems to hang at the same point (on the same file "picon.ini"), it will not progress any further and we have to reboot the machine.  So I am unable to image a computer at the remote office but am able to image the computer at the main office. 

It may also be related that I can't deploy (or copy) certain apps/files across the network.  For example, I can deploy Office 2007 Standard from our fileserver in the main office to any & all remote offices, some of which have just DSL lines.  But I cannot deploy Office 2007 Professional across the network, it will deploy to all clients in the main office fine, but bombs to any remote sites (even the office connected with the gig fibre).  If I try to just copy the Office Pro install package from the fileserver to a remote client, it hangs each time at the 'proplsww.cab' file and we get an error that 'the network name is no longer available'.  The file is not corrupt, it is the exact same source that deploys successfully to all clients in the same location as the file server.  We've also had this happen with other software packages, and it always seems to be a cab file; we can push it out to clients in the same office as the fileserver, but not to remote offices.  It seems that once it goes out the router and to another router, that's were the trouble arises.

Our network team hasn't found a cause/solution for either issue as yet, I'm hoping someone here may have experienced this and may be able to share some insight.  The inability to RIS to the remote locations (or deploy software) is really handcuffing us and I am desperate for a solution.

Thanks for any/all input & suggestions.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a performance issue during the Image Apply Phase.

Performance problems in this phase are generally caused by network congestion, or inadequate resources on the server or client. If network congestion is the issue, consider doing the following:

1.     Creating more bandwidth on the network.

2.     Adding additional Windows Deployment Services servers to the network to handle the network demand.

3.     Balancing the server load by adding dedicated image servers.

4.     Reducing image size.

5.     Use multicast.

For detailed information, please refer to the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772277(WS.10).aspx#Analii

Tim Quan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:49 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a performance issue during the Image Apply Phase.

Performance problems in this phase are generally caused by network congestion, or inadequate resources on the server or client. If network congestion is the issue, consider doing the following:

1.     Creating more bandwidth on the network.

2.     Adding additional Windows Deployment Services servers to the network to handle the network demand.

3.     Balancing the server load by adding dedicated image servers.

4.     Reducing image size.

5.     Use multicast.

For detailed information, please refer to the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772277(WS.10).aspx#Analii

Tim Quan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:49 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Any update?
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:36 AM