none
Missing replies sent via the Bridge? RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• I see Sparky59 now as the last to reply on the main page. In the thread I see a reply from you, then Sparky59 complains that he cannot see your reply. Do you see this now as well?

This has been an issue in the forums in the last few days. The main page will show replies that we cannot see when we open the thread. It has been reported. Some people believe the problem is worse for people that use the Community Bridge, so it is good to know you used the bridge in this case.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Yes, I see my own reply (and Sparky59's reply too). There seems to be a long delay then... :-(

Good to know this is being investigated. Thank you!

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:41 PM
  • I've been seeing a similar thing in the MSDN forums for Outlook Development and VSTO with many of my posts made with the unofficial MS bridge for MSDN/TechNet that I've been using to post with from my newsreader.

I usually see my posts if someone else has posted to the thread after my bridge post from my newsreader. It's as if something then kicks a stuck queue. Some of the missing posts have shown up the next day or so, some I've never seen.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:11 PM
  • That does seem similar to what happened with my post.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:32 PM
  • Yes, that sounds like the symptoms. In fact, on the main forum page now I see there have been 4 replies, the last by Stefan Blom. But I don't see it. The last reply I see is the 3rd, by Ken Slovak. My posting this reply may nudge things so that Stefan's reply shows up for me.

Yes, I submitted the above reply, went back to the main page, refreshed, and now I finally see Stefan Blom's reply.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:27 PM
  • I see my reply too, now, using the web interface. (And this reply is posted directly in the web interface, so it should appear immediately.)

Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:31 PM
  • Related thread

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:18 AM
  • Related thread

My blog

But the conclusion in that thread (the same as my initial assumption here) seems to be a delay. However, the examples discussed here suggest otherwise...

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:47 AM
  • For me the problem discussed in that related thread seems to be fixed. I think I now see all Erland's replies OK and I don't see delays in responses anymore.

My blog

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:28 PM
  • That is good news. A quick test, though: Do you see this reply (posted via the Bridge)?
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Stefan, I see your reply (posted via the bridge) dated 15 minutes ago. So the symptoms are not consistent. Or something has changed recently.

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Maybe it has been fixed. Keeping fingers crossed here...

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:54 PM
  • A post I made this morning using the MS bridge for MSDN/TechNet showed up almost immediately in the thread when viewed in the forum interface. It was the latest post in the thread and there weren't any posts afterwards to kick it out from any queues. It appears that maybe something got fixed, hopefully.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:02 PM
  • I see your reply OK. I am sorry, I have too many things going on right now that's why I didn't reply earlier.

My blog

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Being busy is quite all right. :-)

With a bit of luck, this is now fixed...

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:36 PM
  • Is it fixed for you? I still have the issue...

Why do Bridge problemes come up again and again? :-( Shouldnt we use it?

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Is it fixed for you? I still have the issue...

Why do Bridge problemes come up again and again? :-( Shouldnt we use it?

The problem seems to be intermittent. In other words, no, it isn't fixed. :-(

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:55 PM
  • I see a problem not even related to Bridge. When I check forum's view, I see that last reply is by Celko in this thread, however, I could not see replies by Celko at all in that thread.

Also, two newly introduced problems, I am wondering when they will be fixed:

1. I can no longer see "Last reply by" when I check "My Forums" For me that was quite important piece of information

2. I no longer see the forum from where the reply was originated when it's moved by the moderator. We want to see where the post originally came from.

My blog

Monday, January 21, 2013 7:02 PM
  • 1. I have noticed that too.

2. I thought moderators added this information manually, so I haven't really considered it...

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:22 PM
  • 2. No, it used to be automatic.

My blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:08 AM
  • 2. No, it used to be automatic.

OK. Thanks.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:18 AM
  • I've noticed this problem only today. The last posting I made before that was on Jan. 21 and that displays fine. Maybe I just didn't realize there was a delay, though.  I'm currently missing my reply to the currently last reply in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/internetexplorerde/thread/4dfaecd4-6eda-4ac8-aea8-5467d00c89c4

According to my newsreader it was successfully posted at 15:31 today, now it's 16:03. Posted via Community Bridge.

Edit:

In the meantime I got the message back via bridge an hour later. But the message is not showing on the web yet! At the same time I posted a message to the private MVP group about the bridge and that was processed and received immediately during the same connect.

I've also noticed that there are timeouts occurring. Of the last 24 connects (I'm usually connecting 24 times a day) two timed out when trying to read a newsgroup/forum (each time a different one).

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:04 PM
  • I haven't dared to post (much) using the Bridge over the past few days. The problem is certainly not fixed... Whether it's a long delay or if posts simply don't show up (until someone else posts via the web interface in the same thread) is unclear.
    :-(

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:14 PM
  • I submitted it as a bug. 

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:40 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Stefan,

For the issue that the replies cannot be uploaded immediately, the engineer team has deployed a hotfix to resolve the issue, would you please confirm if the issue persists at your side?

For the issue that the replies posted via Commmunity Bridge seem to be missing for threads, would you please confirm if the issue persists? If yes, would you give me the repro steps? Besides, whether the issue is intermittent?

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support
    EPX Service Enginerring Tier1

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:10 AM
  • "Yubo. Zhang [ADMIN]" wrote in message news:cab9f01c-f234-4215-9e1d-e84637441c72@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Stefan,

For the issue that the replies cannot be uploaded immediately, the engineer team has deployed a hotfix to resolve the issue, would you please confirm if the issue persists at your side?

For the issue that the replies posted via Commmunity Bridge seem to be missing for threads, would you please confirm if the issue persists? If yes, would you give me the repro steps? Besides, whether the issue is intermittent?

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

It seems to be working right now. I just posted test messages at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnsandbox/thread/295ee239-b598-4059-8758-d8e17adf9aad/ (successfully). However, the issue has been intermittent over the past few days.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:20 AM
  • My most recent reply posted via the Bridge hasn't showed up yet here. Perhaps it will now that I post directly in the web interface...

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:18 PM
  • My previous message:

"It seems to be working right now. I just posted test messages at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnsandbox/thread/295ee239-b598-4059-8758-d8e17adf9aad/ (successfully). However, the issue has been intermittent over the past few days."

only got through after I posted one more message in the web interface.

In other words, the problem hasn't been resolved after all.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Coming late to the party, I have been unsubscribed from this forum for a while. But I see that you have been talking about me. :-)

Since I mainly use the NNTP bridge, I have not noticed these problems very much - only wondered why my good advice in the T-SQL forum has been ignored. Then again, there have to been replies to many of my posts, so it's not that everything from the Bridge is put into some queue.

Last night I replied to a post in the SQL Server Security forum, and I got mail from a fellow MVP who had replied in the same thread much later, and he said that he did not see my post until later.

I did notice this problem last weekend, when I by happenstance reviewed a thread in the web UI, and noticed that my post was missing.

I saw also something else very weird last Saturday. There was a thread in the T-SQL forum on Friday, and on Saturday I decided that I wanted to add a reply to it. Since I had marked all as read in my newsreader, I I browsed the thread topics in the main page for the forum. I searched for keywords. But the thread did not show up! Eventually, I went to my newsreader and replied to the thread. As far as I know, the two persons who had posted to that thread, Kalman Toth and Olaf Helper do not use the NNTP bridge, but I could be wrong.

The randomness suggests that there is a node in the web farm which is lagging behind.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:39 PM
  • "Erland Sommarskog [MVP]" wrote in message news:222f4023-34b6-4feb-b3aa-eb1925d5c2dc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Coming late to the party, I have been unsubscribed from this forum for a while. But I see that you have been talking about me. :-)

Since I mainly use the NNTP bridge, I have not noticed these problems very much - only wondered why my good advice in the T-SQL forum has been ignored. Then again, there have to been replies to many of my posts, so it's not that everything from the Bridge is put into some queue.

Last night I replied to a post in the SQL Server Security forum, and I got mail from a fellow MVP who had replied in the same thread much later, and he said that he did not see my post until later.

I did notice this problem last weekend, when I by happenstance reviewed a thread in the web UI, and noticed that my post was missing.

I saw also something else very weird last Saturday. There was a thread in the T-SQL forum on Friday, and on Saturday I decided that I wanted to add a reply to it. Since I had marked all as read in my newsreader, I I browsed the thread topics in the main page for the forum. I searched for keywords. But the thread did not show up! Eventually, I went to my newsreader and replied to the thread. As far as I know, the two persons who had posted to that thread, Kalman Toth and Olaf Helper do not use the NNTP bridge, but I could be wrong.

The randomness suggests that there is a node in the web farm which is lagging behind.

It appears that posts sent via the Bridge are shown after someone else has posted in the web interface (see previous messages in this thread).

Since I’m posting this reply in Windows Live Mail via the Bridge, I guess it won’t show up either. But you’ll see it. :-)

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:17 PM
  • OK, two more messages have been posted here—I expect them to show up after I posted this reply...

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:25 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

thank you for your input.

But would you please let me know the steps of posting via Community Bridge? We would like to try to repro your issue at our side. Thank you!

!

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:37 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

thank you for your input.

But would you please let me know the steps of posting via Community Bridge? We would like to try to repro your issue at our side. Thank you!

!

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

I'm not sure which information you need. I'm using the Community Bridge from http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/ (version 1.1.45.0). I'm posting via Windows Live Mail (tested both WLM 2009 and WLM 2012).

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:58 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

Just get update form the engineer team:

"Small (several minutes) delay in processing Bridge posts was by design.

Any forums activities like posting/making as answer and so on will speed up the sync process."

Yubo Zhang
    Application Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Just get update form the engineer team:

"Small (several minutes) delay in processing Bridge posts was by design.

Any forums activities like posting/making as answer and so on will speed up the sync process."

"Several minutes" be OK, but who is served if the delay is infinite until someone else posts? I have not investigated this in detail, but it appears that this may be the case?

Keep in mind that many of us who use the bridge are people who answer questions, so the community is not really helped by this delay.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Since I'm posting this reply in Windows Live Mail via the Bridge, I guess it won't show up either. But you'll see it. :-)

Yes, I see it.

Last night, I tried to provoke my post to appear, but then I ran into the next snag - I was not able to sign in to the forum, although I was already signed into an MSDN forum.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:33 AM
  •  "Erland Sommarskog [MVP]" skrev i meddelandet news:a8ed3b29-d3d3-4626-8569-f30950c19bcf@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Since I'm posting this reply in Windows Live Mail via the Bridge, I guess it won't show up either. But you'll see it. :-)

Yes, I see it.

Last night, I tried to provoke my post to appear, but then I ran into the next snag - I was not able to sign in to the forum, although I was already signed into an MSDN forum.

The sign-in errors are a different story, I believe. <sigh>

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:12 AM
  • This appears to be something other than a delay. I'm guessing my posting this reply (in the web interface) will force the display (in the web interface) of several other messages, and at least one of those (Erland's) was posted hours ago...

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:15 AM
  • A bug is now filed for this: Bug #1127150

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, February 2, 2013 2:30 AM
    Owner

Any prospects on when it will be fixed? For users of the NNTP Bridge, this is a fairly serious matter. And since bridge users tends to answer questions, it's a problematic matter for other users as well.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 10:05 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know. :-)

Saturday, February 2, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Any prospects on when it will be fixed? For users of the NNTP Bridge, this is a fairly serious matter. And since bridge users tends to answer questions, it's a problematic matter for other users as well.

Good question. Personally, I am currently using the Bridge for reading messages. I reply in the web forum.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Good question. Personally, I am currently using the Bridge for reading messages. I reply in the web forum.

Currently, I have no choice but to use the web UI for post if I want to help people, but I prefer to use the newsreader for obvious reasons. (It does happen that I use the web UI to post, usually when I need to include a character not in Latin-1 since my newsreader is not Unicode capable.)

But in this forum I need post through the bridge, since I am not able to sign in.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 3:46 PM
  • BTW, I saw two of your answers from Jan 24 only on Jan 31.

My blog

Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:27 AM
  • The most annoying thing I find related to this issue is that my posts from the bridge do not appear in "My Threads" even though the thread itself does appear in "My Threads". So we get the situation where there are threads in "My Threads" that do not appear to contain any of my own posts.

This delay seems to be very long (perhaps until someone posts to the thread not via the bridge).

Since normally "My Threads" is the only part of the forum interface that I use, this makes it impossible for me to check that my posts are actually in the system.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

• Edited by davewilk Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:28 AM minor correction
    Monday, February 11, 2013 11:11 PM
  • This thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/8afcb764-c30d-4faa-a5b2-f6f990610c99 showed 0 replies from the Forum's view. When I opened it, I found Erland's reply.

My blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:10 AM
  • Just want to tell that the problem is still present. I was viewing T-SQL forum and opened one thread that showed last reply from 4 hours ago. When I viewed it I saw a reply by Erland from 47 minutes ago.

I then decided to check Erland's profile in case I missed some replies. I found that he replied just few minutes after my reply in one thread. I never saw that reply when I viewed my threads or forum's view.

My blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:40 AM
  • I then decided to check Erland's profile in case I missed some replies. I found that he replied just few minutes after my reply in one thread. I never saw that reply when I viewed my threads or forum's view.

I would ssy that the main problem has been resolved. That is, if I post through the NNTP bridge, my message appears in the forum, without help of other posts. However, as indicated by some MS developer in a previous disuscussion, there is a delay which can be a couple of minutes.

Then there might still be the problem with the content page for the forum is not always updated, but I'm not sure that it is a big problem. It's more important that users get alerts if there are replies from the NNTP bridge, or if the reply appears in things like MyThreads. Whether this actually is the case, I don't know. What I can tell is that my posts from the NNTP bridge often results in responses from the person who asked the question. Far from always, but that has never been the case anyway.

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:31 PM

Thanks!

Ed, could you un-mark this post as being the answer, because for me this problem is certainly not fixed, and in fact seems worse than ever.

Currently, almost none of my posts made from the NNTP bridge are appearing in the forum view until there is additional activity in the thread. My posts cause the thread in question to appear in "My Threads", and do increment the reply count, but the posts themselves are missing both from "My Threads" and from the "Threads" page for the forum in question (and from the thread-specific page for the thread in question).

This is a very serious issue for these that answer question using the NNTP bridge.

Monday, April 29, 2013 10:41 PM
  • The problem was fixed, but it appears to be back again... :-(

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:15 AM

Stefan: As the thread starter, you have the ability to un-mark the answer. Could you do that please?

Nothing concentrates the minds of the forum custodians as much as an unanswered thread :-).

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:06 AM

Stefan: As the thread starter, you have the ability to un-mark the answer. Could you do that please?

Nothing concentrates the minds of the forum custodians as much as an unanswered thread :-).

But the problem was fixed, and it has returned. It would make more sense to stop posting here and start a new thread.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:16 PM
  • I can no longer reproduce the problem in this thread. Everything seems to be working again...

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:41 PM
  • I am still seeing the problem.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:42 PM
  • I am still seeing the problem.

Same here. See the new thread I started at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/013b1fdb-628a-4727-af12-69fc3d1b3eb7 (Missing replies sent via the Bridge -- problem is back).

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:45 PM