none
Why Do I keep Getting the Page to Edit My Profile? RRS feed

• Question

• About 6 hours ago, every time I navigated or attempted to edit in the TechNet Wiki, I got the page to edit my profile instead. A few times I was able to save my edit, but I had to try multiple times. What does it mean when I get this page? Does something time out? Am I required to look at my profile periodically? I've seen this page a few times in the past, but very infrequently. Today I must have seen it 8 times. Has anyone else experienced this?

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:06 PM

Answers

• This is a Workaround (not a fix).

-  Search for article.

- Middle click article. Opens in new tab.

- If new tab does not load correctly, close tab and try again.

Also for when you're clicking Submit...

- Ctrl A and then Ctrl C

That way if you lose your work you can simply re-edit and put it back in.

And yes, the team is working like crazy on this problem. =^)

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:38 PM
    Owner

All replies

• You're not alone...

Same thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Profile/thread/48fdf36f-20ae-496b-9b06-38614012b6fc

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the mainquestion of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:49 AM
  • I've also experienced this...
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:27 AM
  • At present, the TechNet Wiki is nearly unusable. I cannot open or edit articles without getting the profile edit page.

When perforrmance improves, someone should look into the recent activities of new user Jalec323. He published a new Wiki article that has a bad title, and not much content. Then he edited an existing article to add the same non-useful content. It's too difficult for me to view things now.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/jalec323/activity

Also, activity is very slow to show up in the profile.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:01 AM
  • I've also experienced this...

Me too: sometimes Wiki articles editing works fine, sometimes redirects me to the page where I can edit my profile informations.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Interestingly, I experience this on the same computer but only from specific Internet connections some of the time. It seems to be related to Live ID compatibility issues, same as the forums. But again, it seems more server/connection based than system config based or time based.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:47 PM
    Owner
  • That really sucks, cause I was trying to submit an article in wiki, I've written a lot of text and  after "Save Click" I have been redirected to "Edit My Profile", fortunately I knew about this issue and did copy of my article to my local computer, before submit.

Isn't there any workaround from MSFT team about this issue?

Please mark as reply if helped.
    Also visit my blog http://msguy.net/

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Recently happened with me as well, however I clicked on History.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:16 PM
  • I attempted to edit an article 4 times before it worked. After each failure I had to search again for the article, and half the time I was redirected to the Profile Edit screen before I could find it.

And I just noticed that my activity over the last few hours does not show up in my profile.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:27 PM
  • This is a Workaround (not a fix).

-  Search for article.

- Middle click article. Opens in new tab.

- If new tab does not load correctly, close tab and try again.

Also for when you're clicking Submit...

- Ctrl A and then Ctrl C

That way if you lose your work you can simply re-edit and put it back in.

And yes, the team is working like crazy on this problem. =^)

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:38 PM
    Owner
  • This is exactly what am I doing, cause there is the only way out for now.

Please mark as reply if helped.
    Also visit my blog http://msguy.net/

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:41 PM
  • I tried to propose Ed's reply as answer but I got un unexpected error, however.

I also do it the same way right now but I still hope they can fix these errors as soon as possible.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Friday, November 2, 2012 8:31 AM
  • I tried to propose Ed's reply as answer but I got un unexpected error, however.

I also do it the same way right now but I still hope they can fix these errors as soon as possible.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

It seems that the proposal went through despite the error.

Also, this is a known forums bug that's being worked on.

Thanks!

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:08 PM
    Owner
  • How long will it actually take for the fix? Is there anything known yet?

Friday, November 9, 2012 12:19 PM
  • No ETA.

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:00 PM
    Owner
  • Are there any news now? I still get to the page to edit my profile. For posting a comment, there's no workaround.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Any Updates?  About 2 months passed.
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:57 PM
  • The problem appears again and again: does anybody know what's happening to the Wiki?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Sunday, December 9, 2012 5:50 PM
  • would appreciate an status update on this, it does impact work on wiki. on bad days i see the edit profile page more often than any other wiki page :/
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Seems worse on holidays. Sometimes I get the Edit My Profile page 4 or more times before I can open an article.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Seems worse on holidays. Sometimes I get the Edit My Profile page 4 or more times before I can open an article.

Me too...

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by 刻录Banned Friday, January 4, 2013 7:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by 刻录Banned Friday, January 4, 2013 7:40 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Hello,

Today, I get Edit my Profile every time.

Regards

Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Still an issue?

Thanks!

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:48 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed,

Unfortunately, yes.

Sometimes Photo insert popup get to edit profile too.

Regards

Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Unfortunately, yes.

Sometimes Photo insert popup get to edit profile too.

Me too.
    Even front page can't open.

Friday, January 11, 2013 5:32 AM
  • I also think it's now much harder to NOT RECIEVE the "Edit My Profile" page error.

The even more annoying thing is, that it takes longer to load (for me) and sometimes I will still get the "Edit My Profile" error.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Friday, January 11, 2013 7:51 AM
  • I don't know why my experience is different, but I have never been redirected to the "Edit My Profile" page since the recent update (as reported by Ed Price in this forum yesterday). I did tests yesterday, then a lot of article updates with no problems. So far today, the experience is even better.

Yesterday I noticed long delays, but I was never redirected. A few times I clicked the "Stop" button in my browser, then repeated whatever I did (click submit, click an article, click back, or whatever). The second attempt was faster and worked. In the past when I got redirected to the "Edit My Profile" page I often had to repeat the search to find the article I was reading or updating. Now it is much easier to work in the Wiki, at least for me. I'm using IE9 on Windows 7.

Friday, January 11, 2013 7:33 PM
  • I also use IE9 on Win7 but still get this error.

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:30 AM