none
Enterprise Project Type – how to associate custom types with an enterprise custom field? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I’m using PS2010 and stuck with a problem – I’ve created several Project Types and associated them with project sites templates. Now, in a Project Center view, I want to display all of them grouped by Project Type. I’ve added column and selected the ‘Project Type’ field as a value but all my projects has the same values: “Project”.

How in Project Center view can I display a column with a values I defined in Workflow and Project Detail Pages\Enterprise Project Types?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 3:22 PM

Answers

• FYI I worked on this last night have have figured it out.

There is a field called Enterprise Project Type Name. This is what you can use. In the database the Projects have a ProjectType UID, but Project Sever relates the names back to the projects.

Add this field to your project center view and voila! You can then group by this field, or just sort.

• Edited by Lokolo Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hubert Jeziorski Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:26 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:06 AM

All replies

• We created a custom field called "Plan Type" which we is linked to a lookup table which has 4 options. When a project is created the user selects what type of project it is (in the PDP).

We then use this custom field in our Project Center views. (we actually have a view per Plan Type rather than your way of viewing them all and having groups but it can work either way)

(p.s. our Project Type field which is default to Project Server, is 0 across all projects in the DB! I suspect we did it wrong, but we are happy with what we have)

• Edited by Lokolo Wednesday, July 4, 2012 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Ii'm not sure I understand it right but if I do it your way I would have to select a project type twice - once when creating a project (each project type has their own PDP) and then in PDP using another custom field (identical to enterprise project types).

I need the functionality of different PDP for different project types as well as grouping them in a Project Center...

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Ii'm not sure I understand it right but if I do it your way I would have to select a project type twice - once when creating a project (each project type has their own PDP) and then in PDP using another custom field (identical to enterprise project types).

I need the functionality of different PDP for different project types as well as grouping them in a Project Center...

Yes. Effectively we have a little duplication. So we have 4 Project Types; A, B, C, D.

The Project Types are listed in Enterprise Project Types (in Server Settings, all with different Project Site Templates and PDPs) and also named in a lookup table which is used by an Enterprise Custom Field in Plan Type field.

We couldn't find anywhere where Project Server kept a record of what project was created (even in Project Type field... where you'd think it would be), so we had to give each project a Plan Type value (which is A, B, C or D).

The disadvantage to this is that the project creator may not give a value to do the Project, or may give the wrong value.... but couldn't figure out any other way.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 4:17 PM
  • FYI I worked on this last night have have figured it out.

There is a field called Enterprise Project Type Name. This is what you can use. In the database the Projects have a ProjectType UID, but Project Sever relates the names back to the projects.

Add this field to your project center view and voila! You can then group by this field, or just sort.

• Edited by Lokolo Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hubert Jeziorski Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:26 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Thanks!

I'm using polish version of Project Server and looked for appropriate custom field - must have skipped this one.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:28 AM