none
Project 2010 Standard - Corrupt mpp file, can't open the file now RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new project in Project 2010 standard and after several iterations of edits and saving, i tried to open the file and got an error "Project cannot recognize this file format". I read that if you just keep hit the Save command while working, the file can get bloated and corrupt. I have alot of time invested in this project file. Is there a way to recover it?

I am on a company laptop and it is locked down so I can;t install software that might recover the file.

please copy any responses to dsquires20@gmail.com

thanks

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Dough,

Have you tried to open the file on another PC?

I happened to me to solve similar cases: you never know if there are "bad influences" active on your PC...If you don't have another environment available to do this test, you could send me the file (if allowed) so I can do the test for you! 

Sound a bit weerd, but  weerd problems sometimes get solved via weerd methods ;)

Regards
    Wim 

Friday, February 3, 2012 6:38 PM

All replies

• DougPM,

Go to the MVP website at, http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 43 - Handling Project file bloat and/or corruption. Use one or more of the methods available for Project 2010.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:41 AM
  • John,

I tried method 2 and 4 and still got the same error. I am not even close to being able to try method 5.

this doesn't look good for me but thanks for the help.

Doug

Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Doug,

Something is s not quite right because method 2 of FAQ 43 does not apply to Project 2010. Did you mean methods 3 & 4? I have yet to hear of anyone using method 5 - it would involve a complex macro that automates manual re-creation of a corrupt file.

At this point the best I can suggest is to take the last working version you saved, (you did periodic saves, right?), and start from there.

Up until recently I have advocated using Save As back to the same file name in lieu of using straight Save, but I was told by Microsoft that isn't necessary with Project. Yeah, maybe, but I still always use Save As and I never get file corruption. Food for thought.

John

Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Hi Dough,

Have you tried to open the file on another PC?

I happened to me to solve similar cases: you never know if there are "bad influences" active on your PC...If you don't have another environment available to do this test, you could send me the file (if allowed) so I can do the test for you! 

Sound a bit weerd, but  weerd problems sometimes get solved via weerd methods ;)

Regards
    Wim 

Friday, February 3, 2012 6:38 PM

• If this third party tool isn't effective, look at resolution below:

I'm afraid you can only open a Project file using MS Project. There is an outside chance you can get it to work. Try creating a new project and inserting (Insert > Project) the damaged file. Moreover I suggest installing all of the latest service packs. I don't think that will "rescue" your damaged file, but it might save damage in the future. Also -- always have a good backup. I hope this helps.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:13 PM
  • Other solutions are to recover from backup. Open on another machine with Project or repair the User Profile. It may be corrupt. If you can log in with another username to the PC and try to open the file. Good luck,

OR:

1] Go t File --> Options --> Trust Center --> click on Trust Center Settings --> Select the option "Allow loading files with legacy or non-default file formats" and try opening the file.

2] Open a blank project and try inserting the problematic file and try opening it.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:33 PM