Windows 7 64 modem for landline phone usage RRS feed

• Question

• I have been everywhere over the web and can find no information for how to successfully set up a Windows 7 or Vista 64 bit machine to act as a simple telephone (eg. dial or answer a landline) via a modem.  I have found multiple requests for this information but no definitive answers.

I know about Skype, Vonage, VOIP options and I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT INTERNET PHONING.  This is about making a modern PC do what any $10 dollar landline phone can do.  I want to be working on my computer - see a little pop up window come up that tells me Mom is calling on my landline - click the answer call button and proceed to talk with Mom via my computer's mike - and hear her telling me "she shouldn't have to call me but I should call her" via my computer's built in speakers.

From my research I have been able to determine this much.
    1. It seems you must have a full duplex modem.
    2. A driver must be available for this modem that supports Vista/Windows 7 64 bit.

However what isn't known to me is:
    1.  What modem is available that will support having a phone conversation using my computer's built in mike and speaders?  My computer is an HP Touchsmart 300 with no PCI slots - just USB.
    2.  Does the modem need to have a speaker and mike jack or will the sound card and drivers handle the ability to speak and talk through the computer to the modem and from there to the other party.?
    3.  Has anyone successfully done this with a 64 bit processor and if so how.  What modem should I buy, what is the best dialing/answering software and what are the configuration necessities?

This should not be rocket science - but believe me - nobody seems to have an answer that doesn't involve an expensive and sophisticated business telophony solution.

Any help would be appreciated by me (and it seems hundreds of other internet wonderers).
    Thank you
    KISSplease

ou mu
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:56 AM

All replies

• I use a HiRO V.92 56K Internal Low Profile PCI Data Fax Voice Modem(Microsoft Windows 7/ Vista/ XP/ RoHS (will have to bend the screw in bracket straight to make it high profile)

and Venta Fax and Voice 6.8.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:06 PM