none
Is PWA supposed to check out under "read-only" conditions? RRS feed

• Question

•      I have found an unusual behavior in PWA that I cannot work around with any permissions settings. It involves PWA checking out a project when there are only read-only permissions to the user.

I have groups that only need to view projects in MS Project or PWA.  By setting only "Open Project" in Category permissions, and "Log on to Project Server from Project Professional" in Global permissions, and either ignoring or denying save and publish, MS Project behaves as expected, opening read-only, no check-out. This will occur whether invoked from PWA "Open" button, or through MS Project's "Open" dialog.

However when opening in PWA via the "Open" button, the project is checked out, even though all edit capability is disabled! Stranger still, if I click on the project name hot-link in Project Center, PWA opens the published project read-only as expected, but the "Edit" button is active! If "edit" is clicked, the project is checked out, but no edits are possible to any project field.  I also set "Project Permissions" in PWA on a project to allow open only, anf the behavior is the same.

Am I missing somehing in permissions settings? "Open project" is minimum permission necessary to get read-only views, as far as I can tell. BTW, we are at Service Pack 2, October 2013 CU rev level.

THanks in advance for any help!

JAckson T. Cole, PMP, MCITP

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Jackson,

Which version of PS are you using?

Just a hint: I've sometimes seen similar unexpected behavior in the following case:

• the user in question belongs to more than 1 security group
    • the group the user belongs to is associated to more than 1 category

The issue could be that if one category hasn't any edit/save permission but the other one has, then the user will be able to edit/save the plan evenif he's associated to "team member like" category.

Apart from this, I've never seen such a bug that is quite fundamental if it appears to be a bug.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:43 PM
  •     We are at Service Pack #2, Oct. 2013 CU.

Cross-purpose category assignment is not the culprit, as we have none.

Thanks!

JAckson T. Cole, PMP, MCITP

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:08 PM