Proxying for Outlook Anywhere RRS feed

• Question

• We have two AD domains. One is parent AU, the other is child domain US. Both sites run Exchange 2010 SP1 servers. AU site is Internet facing. US site is not. AU has two Exchange 2010 servers: CAS1 (ClientAccess and Transport) and MBX1. CAS1 is published as mail.contoso.com.

Proxying is working fine for OWA. US users can login through mail.contoso.com to access their mailboxes on US Exchange server USMBX01.US.CONTOSO.LOCAL. However, Outlook Anywhere is not working for US mailbox users.

I did a test through MS's www.testexchangeconnectivity.com website. When I choose "Use Autodiscover to detect settings", it failed at "Attempting to ping RPC endpoint 6001 (Exchange Information Store) on server USMBX01.US.CONTOSO.LOCAL" The attempt to ping the endpoint failed.

I am working with our network team to see if the traffic are blocked. At the mean time, can anyone confirm Exchange 2010 can actually proxy OutlooK Anywhere, like proxying for OWA?

Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:42 AM

Answers

• I would suggest you select Outlook Anywhere instead of "Use Autodiscover to detect settings" in the online test web page.

Based on my research, proxying is supported for clients that use Outlook Web App, Exchange ActiveSync, the Exchange Control Panel (ECP), POP3, IMAP4, and Exchange Web Services. (See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310763.aspx). However, Outlook Anywhere is not this kind of CAS to CAS proxying.

You may add USMBX01.US.CONTOSO.LOCAL in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Rpc\RpcProxy\ValidPorts registry key in CAS1. See http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2008/06/20/3405633.aspx.

Please take a try and let me know if this works.

Fiona
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Friday, November 4, 2011 2:27 AM
    • Edited by Fiona_Liao Friday, November 4, 2011 2:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:24 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 2:26 AM
  • After my last post, I tested Outlook Anywhere proxying again with TestExchangeConnectivity website. It works fine this time. I believe the last time failure is due to the Exchange Servicelet has not yet updated PRCProxy in time after we made the firewall changes.

Outlook Anywhere proxying is now working between my Internet facing CAS and non-internet facing CAS servers. Please mark this thread as resolved.

Monday, November 7, 2011 10:56 PM

All replies

• I would suggest you select Outlook Anywhere instead of "Use Autodiscover to detect settings" in the online test web page.

Based on my research, proxying is supported for clients that use Outlook Web App, Exchange ActiveSync, the Exchange Control Panel (ECP), POP3, IMAP4, and Exchange Web Services. (See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310763.aspx). However, Outlook Anywhere is not this kind of CAS to CAS proxying.

You may add USMBX01.US.CONTOSO.LOCAL in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Rpc\RpcProxy\ValidPorts registry key in CAS1. See http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2008/06/20/3405633.aspx.

Please take a try and let me know if this works.

Fiona
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Friday, November 4, 2011 2:27 AM
    • Edited by Fiona_Liao Friday, November 4, 2011 2:53 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Thanks Fiona,

The blog article is really helpful. Though it states anything I put in that registry key will be overwritten by the servicelet every 15 mins. And the servicelet should automatically detect my additional CAS server.

Our network team has unlbocked port 6001, now TestExchangeConnectivity indicates two more ports 6002 and 6004 are blocked. I will see what happens after we unblock those two ports.

Sunday, November 6, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Thanks, I will stand by and wait for your update.
    Fiona
    Monday, November 7, 2011 1:02 AM
  • ok, I received following errors from TestExchangeConnectivity after open port 6001, 6002 and 6004. Anyone seen this before? Or has anyone been able to proxy Outlook Anywhere to their child domain Exchange?

Attempting to log on to the Exchange Information Store.
    An error occurred while logging on to the Information Store.
    Additional Details
    An RPC error was thrown by the RPC Runtime process. Error -532462766 -532462766

Monday, November 7, 2011 2:28 AM
  • After my last post, I tested Outlook Anywhere proxying again with TestExchangeConnectivity website. It works fine this time. I believe the last time failure is due to the Exchange Servicelet has not yet updated PRCProxy in time after we made the firewall changes.

Outlook Anywhere proxying is now working between my Internet facing CAS and non-internet facing CAS servers. Please mark this thread as resolved.

Monday, November 7, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Hi, with regards to the example question being placed by this case.  Can someone confirm what type of protocol traffic is being required from AU site (Internet facing) CAS-Servers to the US Site (Mailbox servers)

I have a similar problem, but when I sniff the traffic from my AU Site I see that it´s talking directly to the US Site Mailbox servers rather than the US Site CAS-Servers.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

JuanCar

MCT

Friday, July 19, 2013 5:16 PM