"Run another program first" in Advanced tab of and advertisement RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to run an uninstall program for a previous version of an application we are deploying before running and install program for a new version.  I've created an install program for the new version and an uninstall program for the previous version.

In the new version install program I set "Run another program first" in the Advanced tab to run the uninstall program for the previous version.

This works fine as long as the previous version is installed.  However, if it is not the whole advertisement fails to run and the new version never gets installed.  This is the behaviour of an advertisement when the "Run another program first" option is used and cannot be changed

Has anyone found a solution for this?

Task sequences are out in this case because the task sequence will only run within a maintenance window and the ignore maintenance window option isn't available for a non-mandatory advertisement.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 3:50 PM

Answers

• I don't know of any way, as we don't run program 2 until program 1 has run successfully.

What you'd need to do is either have your own wrapper program that would look to see if program 1 is installed, and if so, then kick off the uninstall. That way it would successfully run in either case.

Or, you'd have to configure collections to do proper app detection, and only target those that do have program 1 installed.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:59 PM