none
ISCSI Initiator will not open on server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Currently we are using ISCSI initiator on server 2016 Datacenter to connect to 2 dell Equallogic storage arrays for our Hyper-V setup.  All of a sudden over the last couple weeks the iscsi initiator will not launch or open on one of the 2 host servers.  we can migrate servers back and forth between host's but the initiator doesn't want to open at all.  We have a new Storage array we are wanting to add to the mix but can't continue until we figure out why the initiator is not opening or functioning correctly?  Any help is appreciated!

Michael Duhon

Friday, February 7, 2020 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post!

1. If we are unable to open the ISCSI initiator, we may use powershell command to check if the ISCSI connection fine:

Get-IscsiConnection:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/iscsi/get-iscsiconnection?view=win10-ps

2. As for the issue that we are unable to open the ISCSI initiator console, would you please provide the screenshot when we try to open it, is there any error message?

3. Please try to restart the file explorer, check if it could work.

below is a third-party article about how to restart file explorer:

https://www.howtogeek.com/198815/use-this-secret-trick-to-close-and-restart-explorer.exe-in-windows/

(Note, this is a this-party article, since it may change its content without notification, we do not guarantee its security.)

Thanks for your time! If you need any additional assistance, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 10, 2020 7:04 AM
  • Have you restarted iSCSI service?

net stop MSiSCSI
    net start MSiSCSI

Monday, February 10, 2020 2:21 PM
  • Thanks for the help Anne, I tried all 3 suggestions below but nothing seemed to help.

1. when i run get-iscsiconnection it just sits there in powershell and never responds.

2. there are no error messages or anything when i open iscsi initiator, i just click on it and it never opens.

3. tried killing explorer and reopening explorer but iscsi initiator still doesnt open up..

When i run the net stop msiscsi command it hangs stopping the service...

Michael Duhon

Monday, February 10, 2020 4:14 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback!

According to your information, it seems the issue might be ISCSI service hang.

1. I want to check if only the ISCSI service hang? Do you have issue to open other service?

2. Is there any anti-virus application running on the system, if yes, please try to uninstall them, check if it could work.

3. Please try to restart the machine, check if it could work.

4. Please try to clean boot the machine, check if the issue still exist in clean boot.

5. If after doing the above, the issue still exists or the issue reoccur, then it need to capture the ISCSI service dump to do deep troubleshooting. Unfortunately, dump analysis is out of forum supporters' scope, we could only provide some general suggestions here.

We'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:36 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Greetings!

I am writing to check if you need any additional assistance from our side? If yes, please feel free to feedback. We are glad to be of help.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, February 14, 2020 7:17 AM
  • Hi Micheal,

Since I haven't heard from you for a few days, I would like to check how things are going on your side? If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know, if not, would you please mark the useful reply as answer to end this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Anne

Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:09 AM