Office 2010, problem deploying a Custom normal.dotm RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to deploy a custom Normal Template as part of my deployment package and it keeps reverting to the default one and renames the one I deploy as NormalOld.dotm?  Any reason why it might be doing this?

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:46 AM

Answers

• Adding the following reg key and value can be done to prevent Word 2010 from renaming existing (or custom) normal.dotm files:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options]
    "MigrateNormalOnFirstBoot"=dword:00000001

This registry key can be added via a custom MSP file created with the Office Customization Tool - see the Additional content / Add registry entries section of the tool

If the existing normal.dotm files were created with Word 2007, adding the above registry key/value will allow Word 2010 to open the normal.dotm file, but it will do so in Compatibility Mode until the "Convert" option is used to save the file as a Word 2010 version of normal.dotm.

Regards,
    Sean Francis
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Office Deployment Support Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/odsupport
    • Proposed as answer by Greg_Regan Friday, June 11, 2010 8:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron_C Friday, June 11, 2010 11:12 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm how you were trying to deploy the template. You may try to use OCT:

=============

1.       Click Start > Run. Type %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates, and press Enter.

2.       Right click on the normal.dotm and choose Open. Make whatever changes you would like and save.

3.       In your OCT in the “add files” section add the normal.dotm that you just modified.

4.       For the destination path use “[AppDataFolder]\Microsoft\Templates”. Then in the “remove files” section add “[AppDataFolder]\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dotm”

Note: This step to remove the normal.dotm is required to make sure that your custom .dotm from the add files section will get laid down even if there is a previous normal.dotm from a previous installation of Word. If you don’t remove the previous one first, I have seen instances where setup won’t replace it.

If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:21 AM
  • I created a custom normal.dotm on my reference PC and added it as above and I also included the remove option.  The remove is pretty irrelevant as the folder structure does not get created until Word is opened for the first time.  I have however tried it both with and without the remove option and the end result is still the same the one I created gets copied to [AppDataFolder\Microsoft\Templates] then renamed to NormalOld.dotm and the default one copies itself in.  I can confirm this by the timestamp on my one and also the font used.  Pretty bizzare huh? 
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Hi

I've followed Sally's instructions to the letter and I've just experienced the exact same issue as Aaron!!

I now have a normal.dotm and a normalold.dotm - the normalold.dotm is my modified normal.dotm file - as Aaron says - bizzare!!

Cheers

Greg

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Adding the following reg key and value can be done to prevent Word 2010 from renaming existing (or custom) normal.dotm files:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options]
    "MigrateNormalOnFirstBoot"=dword:00000001

This registry key can be added via a custom MSP file created with the Office Customization Tool - see the Additional content / Add registry entries section of the tool

If the existing normal.dotm files were created with Word 2007, adding the above registry key/value will allow Word 2010 to open the normal.dotm file, but it will do so in Compatibility Mode until the "Convert" option is used to save the file as a Word 2010 version of normal.dotm.

Regards,
    Sean Francis
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Office Deployment Support Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/odsupport
    • Proposed as answer by Greg_Regan Friday, June 11, 2010 8:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron_C Friday, June 11, 2010 11:12 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Hi Sean

That worked an absolute treat :-)

Cheers

Greg

Friday, June 11, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Cheers for that Sean,  works for me too ;->
    Friday, June 11, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Thanks for the information on this issue.   Here is my problem.    We have built a push in SCCM with the OCT and added the registry setting that you suggested.   When I run the push manually, it works beautifully.   However, when the push is generated by SCCM, it does not work.   The registry setting is not added until after you have already opened Word and the normal.dotm has been renamed to normalold.dotm.  

Why do you think this is happening?

Thanks for your help!

Vikki Fordham

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Is your SCCM install an upgrade or fresh install? For an install I do not believe any keys at all are written to HKCU until the app is run for the first time.

Just as a side note...I am battling with getting this migration to stick for me too...I think my broblem is either because I'm migrating from Office 2003 and or more likely that I've got some dodgy macros in my Office 2003 Normal.dot which Office 2010 does not like and so keeps renaming it to OLD after the migration has supposedly taken place and I open Word for a second time.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Our SCCM push is an install that first removes Office 2007.  You are correct that the keys are not written until the app is run for the first time.  I was finally able to resolve the issue by creating a push that writes the needed registry setting and implementing that before the Office 2010 push.   On the install of Office 2010 and first run of Word, it actually merges the registry setting for the Word options. 

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Thanks for the tip because I will be packaging my build with SCCM07 too...one for the note book!

I can also confirm my problem was related to macros and settings in my Normal.dot not being properly migrated into Normal.dotm. I had to use the Organiser applet to copy in all my required macros and settings from the old to the new Normal.dotm then repacjage that file up in my MSP and since testing this version of the MSP it deploys and stick all as expected...

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Thank you that worked great!
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Thanks alot for providing such a effective problem solving method.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Hi guys,

Hoping that you can help me out here, with the issue of deploying a custom normal.dotm through fresh SCCM OSD installation.

I've made a custom msp for Office 2010 containing the reg key described here, my new normal.dotm in the 'Add files' section, and the old normal.dotm is also added in the 'remove files' section of the msp.

I use my package in a task sequence for installing fresh computers (no upgrade of office - only fresh install).

When the computer finishes imaging, and i open Word for the first time, my new normal.dotm is copied to the C:\%Appdata%\Microsoft\Templates folder and i can work with the settings defined in my custom normal.dotm. But when i reboot the computer and open Word again, my custom file is renamed to .old, and Word generates a new default normal.dotm file.

I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong??

I also tried adding the reg. key to the computer during SCCM installation procedure before the Office 2010 installation begins. Same result.

Help is much appreciated!

Br.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:52 AM
  • There is no need to remove the normal.dotm file in the OCT.  just add the one you want.  Add the Reg key as instructed and it works like a champ.  I accidentally added to the wrong location (14.0) when it should have went to 15.0 for office 2013.  Once I figured out it was just me being dumb and copying what I saw above instead of taking my version into account, I was home free.

LvilleSystemsJockey

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

We are following the exact same steps, plus adding the 'MigrateNormalonFirstBoot' registry to customise Microsoft word's font.

However, seem like the Normal.dotm only apply to some user but not user (we tested multiple users logging on to one same computer).

Thought the Normal.dotm should apply to any users (all users) that log in to the computer, yes? what would be the reason the Normal.dotm not coming across to all users?

Thank you

Monday, July 4, 2016 7:44 AM