Distribution Point question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few remote servers that I will be setting up as distribution points to get these remote clients upgraded. The clients at these remote sites are still running the 2007 client and I need to get them up and running on the 2012 client using my Client Push method that has been so successful up to now. So was wondering if this plan of attack will work, as the boundaries and groups have me slightly confused for remote sites.

1. A boundary has been setup for the remote site subnet using AD Sites (BoundaryB)

2. Will be installing the client first on the remote server (I believe this is still the case. Need the client on the server first before the dist. point gets setup). Then I will setup the remote server as a dist. point on my site server. Once all looks good and healthy, move on.

3. Now, for boundaries and boundary groups. I currently have a boundary group setup for this remote location. The content location is my Site Server at my location with a connection speed of slow. I will also want to add in the remote server into this as well once the dist. point gets setup on it, correct? Make it a fast connection speed, and clients will then go there for the client download, correct? Does the dist. point get the client upgrade files automatically since it is setup as a dist. point?

4. I also have a boundary group setup for my location but do I need to add this remote location into this boundary group as a member? Confused on that. Don't believe I want to, but my understanding is the initial contact from my remote location will be made to my location Site Server for Site Assignment so I wasn't sure if the remote location has to be a member.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had this all wrong with the fact that dist. points are not used for client upgrades when using the automatic client push method, so bare with me! :)

Thanks!

• Edited by RBanse Friday, November 9, 2012 6:44 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 6:43 PM

All replies

• Are you planning on sharing the DP between the CM07 and CM12 clients? In that case CM12 will automatically create a read-only boundary Group for the remote DP.

If not, then all you need is to create a boundary Group only containing the IP range of the remote location and the remote DP. Configure the connection as Fast and on the DP properties deselect the option to use the DP as a fallback distribution point. That way you have isolated the DP and only client in the remote location can be serviced by the DP.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:08 AM
  • Ok. No, we are not using CM07 any longer, and no need to share between the two. So do DP's hold the client upgrade file when using a automatic client push method on the Site Server? I think I remember being taught that the client only goes to the Site Server for site server stuff, but goes to the DP for any client upgrade files. Wasn't sure if there was a manual push of client files that I need to do from the Site Server to the DP, since I am using the client push method with automatic discovery.

Thanks.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:52 PM
  • So do I have both the Site Server and the Remote Server listed here? Or only the Remote Server? Currently I have both, with one having a SLOW connection speed and the other FAST.

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Just add the server(s) that should be used by clients that are within the boundaries of the boundary group West Salem.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Ok, and then with a SLOW type of onnection added, that would be last resort I am assuming.
    Monday, November 12, 2012 8:57 PM