WSUSUtil Export tmp and cab files RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use WSUSUtil export to get approved updates to an isolated WSUS. I understand the process, however, I am restricted on hard drive space where the export places the temp files. The partition WSUS is installed has adequate space, but the export process uses the C: drive for it's temp files. 1. Can I change the location of the temp file? 2. I only want the cab file to be created for approved updates, so does the export create the cab file for approved updates or all updates?
    • Edited by MDDis Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:16 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:15 PM

Answers

• i don't think it's wsusutil deciding on the temp location, that's a global windows environmental path variable which you would need to change and it would apply for everything that requires scratch space under temp.  worth it if you're that low on space, so you can at least get your exports done

look for variables named TEMP and TMP and redirect their paths to another disk - this will create complications with some applications so be careful and take note of their existing paths so you can revert the change if required

I've never looked inside the cab file but I think it does everything, but it's still fairly small in size
    • Edited by armin19 Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:15 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:30 PM

All replies

• i don't think it's wsusutil deciding on the temp location, that's a global windows environmental path variable which you would need to change and it would apply for everything that requires scratch space under temp.  worth it if you're that low on space, so you can at least get your exports done

look for variables named TEMP and TMP and redirect their paths to another disk - this will create complications with some applications so be careful and take note of their existing paths so you can revert the change if required

I've never looked inside the cab file but I think it does everything, but it's still fairly small in size
    • Edited by armin19 Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:15 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Thanks. You're right. It's windows environment paths. I could change them but I'll have to wait to be able to reboot the server for that change to take effect. I've never been able to look inside the cab file since it never gets created because the tmp files are using at least 6 GB. (That's when the process stops because it has used all available space.) That's why I was wondering about the approved vs. all updates.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:37 PM