Defragmenter RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on the Accessories Tools Defrag, I get a message that it's schedule is being controlled by another program, and that I will have to remove that order.  But it doesn't identify which is or where that program resides!

I looked at the directory (this is my aging mother's machine) and there was a lot of printer control stuff from Hewlett Packard, which I UNINSTALLED, but the lack of access to defrag persists.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 5:12 PM

All replies

• Usually this is caused when there is a 3rd party defragging programmed install.

Start by opening Default Programs then select Programs and Features to see if there is one.  There are a lot of the utilities out so it would be almost impossible to give you a list.  You can do an internet search for Windows 7 defrag programs to get most of the names.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:34 PM
  • HI,

There are several reasons may result in the error:

1.There are other programs like disk clean tool or antivirus software running that interrupt the built-in defragmenter. You can perform a clean boot to avoid third party conflict, then run the build-in defrag tool again.

2.Disk Defragmenter may no longer be on the system or is corrupted. You can type %windir%\inf in Search box and press "Enter", in the window that opens, find the file named "dfrg.inf". Right-click on "dfrg.inf" and "Install." You can also re-register the defragmenters snap-in files and the basic registry entries by running the following commands in CMD as administrator:

cd \windows\system32
    regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
    regsvr32 dfrgui.dll

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

have you solved the issue by the suggestions?

You can share the solution with others by marking as answer on which you believe is helpful on dealing with the issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:17 AM