none
Ineffective Storage Pool Usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have 8 TB Disk Space, DPM uses 2 TB and blocks 5 TB. How can I avoid this ineffective setup?

Thanks

John 

John

Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:25 AM

All replies

• You can shrink "oversized" DPM volumes from DPM manager. To avoid overallocation, adjust automatically suggested replica and recovery point sizes when adding sources to recovery group.

Gleb.

Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

that's what I do. But all this requires a lot of manual work and still it will not end in effective storage usage (tons of partitions without consolidated free disk space). It seems that DPM is going for data duplication while the rest of the world is going the data de-duplication path.

How to get improvement here?

Thanks,

John

John

Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:04 PM
  • There is a couple of scripts in script gallery that automate this "shrinking" process for dpm.

Anyway, I am not quite sure what you mean by effective storage usage and what kind of improvement you are looking for? DPM creates a replica for each source it takes backup from. You yourself control the size of the volumes allocated by DPM: DPM only suggests initial size based on some simple calculations, but it is up to you to use your knowledge of the source data to specify appropriate initial sizes for backup volumes. So you can decide to allocate more when you expect your data to grow, or allocate just enough to hold a copy of data, when you know that the source contains static data that does not change often. Yes, with DPM you may end up with a large number of partitions, but that is the way this product works.

Gleb.

Sunday, November 16, 2014 7:50 PM
  • Hi,

with effective storage usage I mean that I can share free disk space across partitions. Currently I have the situation:

partition 1: 500 GB used, 250 GB reserved

partition 2: 500 GB used, 250 GB reserved

partition 3: 500 GB used, 250 GB reserved

partition 3: 500 GB used, 250 GB reserved

If now partition 1 grows by 251 GB my backup stops although the machine has 749 GB free disk space...

With Backup Exec is way more flexible. I can share the disk space and my backup would run until 1 TB is exceed by the overall growth.

How to achieve this with DPM?

Thanks,

John

John

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:46 PM
  • Use thin provisioned storage. DPM will always waste lots of disk space if you don't use thin provisioning.
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:06 PM