serious hard drive issue (that could lead to another dead hdd)... RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a serious problem (at least i think so) with my hard drive(s) in windows vista... i tired to find some info on the web, but with no success...

heres the deal...

since i bought my laptop in the summer of 2007 i've had this problem, but i never gave it much tought, at least not until my HDD died 5 days ago (it was a WD Seagate 160gb - not sure about the exact model). Like every "crazy" PC user, i said to myself:" Well s*** happens, nothing you can do about that!", and went and got myself a new HDD (WD Scorpio 120gb - WD1200BEVS-60UST0)...  everything was going great, until i installed Vista on my laptop again (i forgot to mention that i have ASmobile S96S barebone notebook: 2gh dual core intel, 2gb ram, GF8600gs...), then the funny thing happened again, and is happening while im typing...   to get to the chase, my HDD is making a very funny and annoying buzzing sound, which in my opinion is going to lead to another dead hard drive.

Let me explain this a bit...  the funny sound is hapening only in windows vista, and until now i tought its just playing funny. But after my 1st hard drive died i gave it a little tought,and then concluded that as time passed my original hard drive was slower and slower every day, until one day it died...  then when i got this new one i figured:" new hard drive is not going to make any problems..."  so i installed Windows XP on it, and everything was great, but yesterday i upgraded it to Vista, and the buzzing started again...  (and its especially lound when running on batteries). So that let me think that it Vista's fault....  all based on a fact that a new hard drive has to be OK...  

Now im afraid that im going to have another dead HDD unless i find out why does my HDD buzz, and how to prevent that..

While moderately using my laptop, hdd temperature is at 35-37 C,and as much as i've read that should be ok (seen people have 45-55 C on their HDD's). I figured if something is wrong with the HDD, hardware vise it would make the same sound in XP as in Vista?! I figured it might be some Vista compatability issue?

I regularily update my OS, lets say as soon as the update is out...

On my old HDD, couple of days before it died, it was nearly impossibile to copy something from one partition to another... the whole OS would freeze, and hard reset was necessary...

I just dont know what to think, any toughts on this???

One more thing...  is it possible that my old HDD isn't dead but just messed up? it's SATA drive and i was unable to run it on laptop or my desktop, altho both of my computers can see it in BIOS, and detect it properly, but just wont load it in windows? Also when i tried to install a clean copy of Win XP from a bootable CD, it kept telling me i had no HDD installed, but bios reported its there?!?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR TIPS...

Heres my laptop:

Windows Vista Business (build 6000)

Board: S96S 1.00
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0107 04/19/2007

2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drives

120.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    77.74 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    MK3977Z GEM840J SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
    WDC WD1200BEVS-60UST0 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WXEY07C76787, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory

2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB

Other Devices

RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Microsoft AC Adapter
    Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    HID-compliant consumer control device
    HID-compliant device (2x)
    USB Human Interface Device (2x)
    USB2.0 2M WebCam
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad [Mouse]
    SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
    USB Composite Device
    USB Root Hub (7x)

Realtek High Definition Audio

Display

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS [Display adapter]
    Generic PnP Monitor (15.4"vis, February 2006)

Bus Controllers

AD6RWGRU IDE Controller
    Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)
    Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller (5x)

Friday, April 4, 2008 12:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to suggest that you to run the command: chkdsk /F and perform a defrag to narrow down the root cause before we go further.

And if possible, please contacting your laptop manufactor or a local authorized repair facility and take a check.

Also, if the problem still happens, please feel free to post back here. We will be happy to afford further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest that you to run the command: chkdsk /F and perform a defrag to narrow down the root cause before we go further.

And if possible, please contacting your laptop manufactor or a local authorized repair facility and take a check.

Also, if the problem still happens, please feel free to post back here. We will be happy to afford further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:17 AM
  • I had the same problem with my asus s96s, and the solve this try to update your bios to 0701 with asus update utility(given with the driver cd), and the noise will dissapear. I tried it and it works. I was very nervous abaut this noise but now it's gone!!!

You can find this bios with google!

Give a try!

I suggest u should backup your old bios

I am very happy now, my notebook is very silent now, it was a horror with the old bios.

I had the same as you with xp, but later it was noisy too, now im using vista and it works perfectly

cheers

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:31 AM
  • i think you should ask the laptop seller who sold laptop to you and can help you.

http://www.babatek.com

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:20 AM
  • maybe you can google it for some help. carefully choose what you most need information...

http://www.goodlaptopbattery.com.au/
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:56 AM