Having problems with office 2010 opening a document in a sharepoint portal server 2003 document library RRS feed

• Question

• We have sharepoint portal server 2003 running our intranet, and windows sharepoint services 2003 running our internal team sites. We had been running office 2003 and 2007 for many years with no problems. We recently upgraded a few test clients to office 2010 and these people started to experience problems when opening up a document from the intranet site (Word, Excel witnessed so far) where the document would open in a corrupted format, or not open at all. The work around is to right click on the url, do "save as" and save the document locally on their PC. Obviously we do not to do this when office 2010 goes production.

I tested this and have got to the point that if i set a user as an administrator of a document library on the intranet, then the document will open ok, but if i set to anything less (reader, contributer etc..) then the document will not open. Just to confuse matters slightly, we reverse publish our intranet through isa 2006 and when i browse to this site outside of our organisation on a PC with office 2010 on it, the document opens fine.

I have already investigated the "Trust Centre" options in office 2010 and no amount of amending the settings makes a difference.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next and would appreciate any options anyone can come up with!

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, May 9, 2011 5:07 PM There isn't a SharePoint Portal *Services* corrected to SharePoint Portal Server which I hope is what you meant.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, May 9, 2011 5:14 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, May 9, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• It may seem somewhat hard, but you are running a latest version Office client system with a two versions back (and out of support, I believe) SharePoint system.

Given that the two (Office and SharePoint) have tended to be developed together, it's a stretch to imagine that the makers of Office 2010 bothered much about testing with SPS 2003 - in fact as we have seen they don't seem to have spent that much time testing with MOSS 2007 either as there have been the occasional problems with that too.

To my mind you have two choices

a) upgrade your SP systems to at least MOSS 2007

or

b) don't introduce Office 2010 for people wanting to do much more Office "stuff" with SharePoint than just save documents in document libraries. (and in fact even that basic stuff doesn't seem to be working for you so maybe a) is the only alternative).

Note that I do not work for Microsoft nor am I paid in any way by Microsoft so this is by no means an official position.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, May 13, 2011 10:17 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 5:13 PM