none
DPM 2010 - Replica is inconsistent RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have DPM 2010 that is backup windows server 2003 x84 SP2.

C, D, E partitions from this server is backing up normaly.

Only the system state backup is not working.

I tried to search in DPM current error log searching for incombtable. Nothing find.

Nothing in the event log.

Any Idea?

Regards,

LA.

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 7:29 AM Moving to DPM SS and BMR Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, July 2, 2010 7:29 AM

Answers

• Did you redirect the system state backup to another drive as suggested by Mike

"You need to have ~10GB free space on C: drive, if that is not possible, you can move (redirect) the systemstate backup location to another volume by modifying the \Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\datasources\PSdataSourceConfig.xml file"

You mentioned that "C drive is 19 GB and there is 5 GB free." - In my experience you will need at least 12 GB of available disk space for Windows 2008 System State backup on the server you are protecting.

Make sure your datasourceconfig.xml looks like the one below. Replace %system drive% with the drive letter to backup the system state to

<DatasourceConfig>
    <WriterId>8c3d00f9-3ce9-4563-b373-19837bc2835e</WriterId>
    <Version>01.00.0000.00</Version>
    <VssWriterInvolved>false</VssWriterInvolved>
    <LogicalPath>Computer</LogicalPath>
    <ComponentName>SystemState</ComponentName>
    <FilesToProtect>%SystemDrive%\WindowsImageBackup\*</FilesToProtect><Size>10240</Size>
    <UseDRWithCC>true</UseDRWithCC>
    </DatasourceConfig>

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Monday, August 2, 2010 8:30 AM
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:03 PM

All replies

• On the Windows 2003 system look at the backup log.

Windows 2003 ntbackup logs for system state backup are stored at C:\Document and
    Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\NTBackup.

The Log files will be named BackupXX.log, Backup01.log, and so forth, look at
    the time stamp of the file to detemine which one matches the failed job.

You need to have ~10GB free space on C: drive, if that is not possible, you can move (redirect) the systemstate backup location to another volume by modifying the \Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\datasources\PSdataSourceConfig.xml file

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809015.aspx for details.

If you move it, unprotect systemstate then re-protect it on the DPM server so it re-reads the new location fro the PSdataSourceConfig.xml file.

Try to make a manual systemstate backup and troubleshoot any errors that occur.

On Windows 2003 PS, DPM executes the C:\program file\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\DPMSystemstatebackup.cmd <drive-letter:> - you can run that and see what errors occur.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I upgarded this server to 2008 and when i ran the system state backup it didnt work also.

Its a virtual machine (Vmware)

C drive is 19 GB and there is 5 GB free.

Nothing wrong with vss writers.

Any suggestions?

LA

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:18 AM
  • Please go through :: 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/21f5f093-5313-4904-941a-a26829c556a7

and

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/4b071b05-1550-46d5-8309-3bd48ee0fba9.

Mark the post as Answer if the above links were helpful

thanks,

Parag Agrawal

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Hi Parag,

Both cases are not my issue. I already checked these threat but did not help me.

Thanks for your replay.

LA.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Any Suggestions?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Did you redirect the system state backup to another drive as suggested by Mike

"You need to have ~10GB free space on C: drive, if that is not possible, you can move (redirect) the systemstate backup location to another volume by modifying the \Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\datasources\PSdataSourceConfig.xml file"

You mentioned that "C drive is 19 GB and there is 5 GB free." - In my experience you will need at least 12 GB of available disk space for Windows 2008 System State backup on the server you are protecting.

Make sure your datasourceconfig.xml looks like the one below. Replace %system drive% with the drive letter to backup the system state to

<DatasourceConfig>
    <WriterId>8c3d00f9-3ce9-4563-b373-19837bc2835e</WriterId>
    <Version>01.00.0000.00</Version>
    <VssWriterInvolved>false</VssWriterInvolved>
    <LogicalPath>Computer</LogicalPath>
    <ComponentName>SystemState</ComponentName>
    <FilesToProtect>%SystemDrive%\WindowsImageBackup\*</FilesToProtect><Size>10240</Size>
    <UseDRWithCC>true</UseDRWithCC>
    </DatasourceConfig>

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Monday, August 2, 2010 8:30 AM
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:03 PM
  • I've also come across this (just again today which refreshed my memory)

One of the techniques I use is to open an elevated command prompt on the protected server and run "wbadmin get status" when I've started the DPM backup of System State. This will give you a real time status of what the system state protection is doing on 2008 (on 2003 you'll probably have to look at the System State backup log files).

If you get a "Enumeration of the files failed. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." this can be caused by paths in the registry to files that will be backed up by system state having an invalid path. In my case in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TMBMServer the path to Home Dir for TrendMicro contained "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\..\BM" and ImagePath contained "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\..\BM\TMBMSRV.exe" /service.

You'll notice the \..\ in the path ..... System State backup doesn't like that format. I just modified the path to the data values required and all of a sudden System State backup starts working.

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Hi danny,

Thanks for your replay.

What im trying now is to find a space where i can save system state.

I will come back to you as soon as i finish.

LA

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:38 PM