How to install updates on 2016 servers without automatic reboots RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody!

I'm looking for a way to set WSUS and group policy so that approved updates are installed automatically, but not rebooted until our weekend scheduled reboots reboot the servers in sets of 10 (We've got around 100 VMs we need to reboot)

Currently I can get WSUS to allow updates to be installed and a GP to install updates automatically, but part of this GPO setting specifies that the updates that require reboots will cause the server to be rebooted either immediately or outside of "Active Hours". For us Active hours is 24 hours during the week so this isn't a viable option. We need to have a specific window in the weekend to reboot the servers. But we also don't want to have to manually go to each of the 100 servers and start the the update installs on Saturday.

Any combinations of GP settings that will do what I'm wanting?

Just to be clear that is 

*Approve Updates in WSUS

*Client server downloads and installs updates

*Client server waits with pending reboot status (could be any time as long as it doesn't affect the performance of the server)

*Scheduled reboot takes place at set time on Saturday - and finishes the installs.

Friday, June 28, 2019 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Consider enabling the [No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations] policy in the GPO, which will control the computer to automatically restart any users waiting to log in when a user logs in.

In addition, since some updates involve system file adjustments, updates can only be completed after the computer is restarted. Make sure that the computer can be restarted as soon as possible after the update installation to reduce the risk you may be experiencing.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 1, 2019 5:42 AM