none
MSN MoneyCentral web queries not working

Question

• Up until a few days ago I could refresh data that I pulled in using the MSN MoneyCentral IQY connection file in Excel 2010.  Now when I hit Refresh on the Data tab I get the error "Cannot open internet server or proxy server.".  I'm guessing this is because MoneyCentral no longer exists and has been rebranded.  Is there an updated IQY file or web link I can use to modify my existing IQY file so I can once again query external data from MSN Money in Excel 2010?

Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:35 PM

Answers

• Until the original URL in the IQY file is restored, I've modified the IQY file to retrieve from yahoo finance. The content of the modified IQY file is here:

WEB
    http://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/["QUOTE","Enter stock, fund or other symbols separated by commas."]
    Selection=2
    Formatting=None
    PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
    ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
    SingleBlockTextImport=False

You can also download a copy of it here:

http://www.excel-university.com/msn-moneycentral-iqy-web-query/

Just scroll down to the December 2014 Update header near the end of the post.

If you store the new iqy file in the My Documents\My Data Sources folder then you should still be able to access it from Excel's Data > Existing Connections command icon.

• Marked as answer by Rehcse Saturday, December 27, 2014 4:43 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:46 PM
  • This appears to be resolved now...my spreadsheet is pulling in stock and currency data as before.

Perhaps an aside, but in the last few days SharePoint weather web parts we built using MSN as the data source also broke, will be interesting to see if they start to function again too.

• Marked as answer by Rehcse Tuesday, December 02, 2014 1:59 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2014 10:09 PM
  • Same here.  Marking this as answer and moving on.  However, it would be nice to have an updated IQY file if they're planning on abandoning the moneycentral.* domains.
    Tuesday, December 02, 2014 1:59 AM

All replies

• Up until a few days ago I could refresh data that I pulled in using the MSN MoneyCentral IQY connection file in Excel 2010.  Now when I hit Refresh on the Data tab I get the error "Cannot open internet server or proxy server.".  I'm guessing this is because MoneyCentral no longer exists and has been rebranded.  Is there an updated IQY file or web link I can use to modify my existing IQY file so I can once again query external data from MSN Money in Excel 2010?

I have the same problem, looking for a solution.. : (
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:34 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as well. I've been using these queries for several years. I use excel on mac. If you find a solution please post here.
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:27 PM
  • Friday, November 28, 2014 1:30 AM
  • Thank you for your reporting.

I have forwarded this issue to MSN support team. Hope they can fix the issue or give us an update soon.

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Friday, November 28, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Just so the MSN support team is aware, this problem exists across multiple operating systems (including Windows 10 Technical Preview) and multiple versions of Excel.  Since this is the last business day of the month, a fix needs to be found ASAP.  Thx
    Friday, November 28, 2014 2:54 PM
  • This appears to be resolved now...my spreadsheet is pulling in stock and currency data as before.

Perhaps an aside, but in the last few days SharePoint weather web parts we built using MSN as the data source also broke, will be interesting to see if they start to function again too.

• Marked as answer by Rehcse Tuesday, December 02, 2014 1:59 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2014 10:09 PM
  • Yes and no.  It's the format for the file, but the link used is the old MoneyCentral link.
    Tuesday, December 02, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Same here.  Marking this as answer and moving on.  However, it would be nice to have an updated IQY file if they're planning on abandoning the moneycentral.* domains.
    Tuesday, December 02, 2014 1:59 AM
  • Same problem.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL= seems not to be working anymore. Any ideas anyone? Preferably quickly...

Monday, December 22, 2014 5:55 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.  My MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes connections are not working anymore.  Any help?
    Monday, December 22, 2014 7:29 PM
  • Same problem for me.
    Monday, December 22, 2014 7:33 PM
  • I really need a solution... does anyone know whether this is a temporary issue, or should we be looking for new ways to pull data into excel?
    Monday, December 22, 2014 9:19 PM
  • Looks like this problem occurred last year around this time. Maybe there is a pattern here.

I also have a number of spreadsheets that I maintain that rely on being able to use this MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quote query. If this is no longer going to be available, Microsoft should have a replacement ready and available for those (I'm sure there are many) that are using it.

Monday, December 22, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Well, it looks like I'm not alone.  I see there are many others here that are having issues with the MSN Money Central stock quotes in Excel.  I am using Excel 2010 and up until today, Dec 22, 2014, it worked fine.  Everything refreshed according to schedule.  But, now all of my Excel 2010 systems are having the issue where the error message is the web query returned no data.  I have about 20 or so systems using this and as I mentioned, up until today, it worked.  If there is an issue, please let use know.  Likewise, if something changed and we need to update our applications, let us know that as well.  Thank you.
    Monday, December 22, 2014 10:34 PM
  • I too am not able to refresh my Excel 2013 spreedsheets that access the stock quotes.  I used to get this:

Stock Quotes Provided by MSN Money
    Click here to visit MSN Money
          Last Previous Close High Low Volume Change % Change 52 Wk High 52 Wk Low Market Cap EPS P/E Ratio # Shares Out
    Fidelity Cash Reserves  Chart News 1 1 1 1 0 0 0.00% 0 0 0 0 0 0
    DJ Industrial Average  Chart News 17804.8 17778.15 17874.03 17746.55 343,694,546 26.65 0.15% 17991.19 15340.69 0 0 0 0
    NASDAQ Composite  Chart News 4765.38 4748.4 4782.13 4738.29 0 16.98 0.36% 4810.86 3946.03 0 0 0 0
    Ariel Investor  Chart News 72.18 71.43 72.18 72.18 0 0.75 1.05% 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Dodge & Cox Stock  Chart News 181.48 183.54 181.48 181.48 0 -2.06 -1.12% 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Dodge & Cox Global Stock  Chart News 11.86 12.28 11.86 11.86 0 -0.42 -3.42% 0 0 0 0 0 0

Now I get this:

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon

msn back to msn home money

web search search money search

Sign in

Connect your Microsoft account

A Microsoft account helps us personalize your Microsoft experiences and keeps your music, documents, app favorites, settings and more in sync with your Phone, PC or Xbox.

Not sure what is happening here. These have worked for years and through many excel upgrades.
    if anyone finds an answer please post here.

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:25 AM
  • Same here - I get the same result
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:34 AM
  • OK Microsoft, we need an answer! We need to know whether this is a temporary outage, or we need to re-build our macros!!
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:23 PM
  • Can someone help with why these have suddenly stopped working  - no file changes

MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes Microsoft wed Query Fie

please

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 4:44 PM
  • Add another group of users affected to the list.

I concur on needing to know from MSFT/MSN whether this is temporary outage or another case of "adding new features".

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Until the original URL in the IQY file is restored, I've modified the IQY file to retrieve from yahoo finance. The content of the modified IQY file is here:

WEB
    http://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/["QUOTE","Enter stock, fund or other symbols separated by commas."]
    Selection=2
    Formatting=None

If you store the new iqy file in the My Documents\My Data Sources folder then you should still be able to access it from Excel's Data > Existing Connections command icon.

• Marked as answer by Rehcse Saturday, December 27, 2014 4:43 AM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Thank you Jeff, I will definitely try this
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Thanks Jeff

I was able to take what you provided and modify it slightly so I can do the same automatic pull in of the quote data into my spreadsheets. This is actually less cluttered than the old MSN query. Even if the MSN IQY file is restored,  I probably will stick with this.

Jim from Utah.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:36 AM
  • i've the same problem. it is ok that msn changes, but couldn't they say where we can find the data ? or has the service stopped ?
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 4:58 AM
  • does this work ? i get the message the page isn't existing anymore !
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 5:04 AM
  • nope, MSN web link still doesn't work
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:19 PM

WEB
    Selection=2
    Formatting=None

Jeff, this works perfectly, thank you.

Would you be able to get us an IQY file that gets currency exchange rates also?

Thank you very much!

Friday, December 26, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Never mind :)

WEB
    http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-investing

Selection=2
    Formatting=None

Friday, December 26, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Issue is still not resolved.  Is there any answer from MSN, or even a commitment that this will be fixed?  Please advise.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:46 PM
  • MSN Stock quotes EXCEL function  still not working- have tried every permutation of syntax I can think of, but still get "The Web query returned no data" error message.  What happened to the "it will be fixed in a few days" promise?
    Tuesday, January 06, 2015 2:43 PM