none
Installing Proj Svr for Test Env-Error Task upgradebootstrap has failed with an unknown exception RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing Project Server 2010 on a Server 2008 R2 test farm that is already running Sharepoint 2010 and has been attached to restored databases. The Sharepoint Sites work fine. I am trying to now install Project Server and recreate the PWA site. The Project Server install fails during the configuration wizard with the following error in the log:

Task upgradebootstrap has failed with an unknown exception

Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException' was thrown.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.BootStrap(Guid sessionId, SPUpgradeOperationFlags flags)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.UpgradeBootstrapTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

The odd thing is that earlier I installed it just fine on this VM and it worked. The only difference is that I installed it after applying the Sharepoint SP1. But then I realized the project site had not been restored on the test server and I wanted it to be set up before I applied SP1 so I could duplicate what I would have in prod.  So I reverted to a snapshot before SP1 and Project were installed so I could install Project Server first. Any ideas what is causing this? I looked at the disk space available and i have 21.4 GB of 39.8 free on C and 3.75 of 4.99 GB free on E which is where i am installed Project Server. Although again if it were a space issue I would think it would have been an issue earlier. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:47 PM

Answers

•  

Yes, if you have multi server farm and planning to revert snapshot, especially when you have installed any patch , cu or SP in between.

Patching SharePoint and Project is a two stage process. First installing binaries and second upgrading database  which by performing SharePoint configuration wizard

In your scenario SharePoint binaries are rolled back but databases are still with updated service pack

You should revert both at same time. Database, app and WFE if you have any

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by normajean999 Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is database server installed on same machine?

Execute following query on SharePoint Config database and let us know the version

SELECT * FROM Versions

WHERE VersionId ='00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:31 PM
  • That query doesn't work. I am running SQL 2008 R2 SP1 on a separate VM.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:48 PM
  • you need to select the database manually

Or select the database and then click on new query

This is a generic query works on all versions of SQL

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:49 PM
  • There are 2 results. One for a admin user that set the sharepoint site up and another for the farm account

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 14.0.4762.1000 1 DOMAIN\user 2010-10-12 21:32:21.070 NULL 2147483647 2147483647 1 

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 14.0.6029.1000 4 DOMAIN\SPSSFA 2012-09-19 21:45:38.913 NULL 0 0 1 

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:53 PM
  •  

Version 6029 indicates you have Sp1 for SharePoint

Do you have PWA site provisioned in the past? , if yes try same query against any project databases

If not, then install Project Server , cancel SharePoint configuration wizard, install Project Server sp1 and then try to run SharePoint configuration wizard.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Just a side note. I restored my snapshot to start over and the temp content database I created for project server was still listed in my Manage Content Databases section. So I'm wondering if it is holding on to remnants of Project Server in the config database as I did not restore any of the DBs when I reverted the Sharepoint VM.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:00 PM
  • right. Thats why I did ask do you have Database server on same machine where sharepoint is installed.?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:01 PM
  • So it appears this issue is with reverting the sharepoint server VM and not the DBs. The DBs still think that Sharepoint SP1 was applied. I attempted to provision a PWA site on these 2 servers to reattach to a copy of the prod PWA DB but it didn't go well, so I then reverted the sharepoint server. It appears I need to revert the SQL server as well.  Is that the issue?
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:05 PM
  •  

Yes, if you have multi server farm and planning to revert snapshot, especially when you have installed any patch , cu or SP in between.

Patching SharePoint and Project is a two stage process. First installing binaries and second upgrading database  which by performing SharePoint configuration wizard

In your scenario SharePoint binaries are rolled back but databases are still with updated service pack

You should revert both at same time. Database, app and WFE if you have any

Blog | < | LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by normajean999 Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Got it. Thanks so much for the fast assistance!
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:11 PM
  • You are most welcome

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:21 PM