Issue with ADDS Managment Pack on Windows 2012 R2 Domain Controllers (SCOM 2012 R2) RRS feed

• Question

• Have anyone experinced any issues running the ADDS Managment pack (6.0.8228.0) on Windows 2012 R2 domain controllers?

After i added the ADDS Managment Pack i see that the Monitoring agent gets unstable and unresponsive on Domain Controllers.

Some of the domain controllers are working as expected, but they may stop functioing after a restart of the server or service.

What a see when the Agent stops working, is no more log entries in the Operations Manager Event log.
    Last entry is allways eventID 34217 "The Configuration Processesing has started" Event Source is .Net App Monitoring.

On domain Controllers that do work i also see that Event ID followed by

EventID 1191 "The Service with Display name "Web Applications" does not exist as an Installed service" Event Source is Apm Scripting
    EventID 34218 "The configuration processing is Completed", Event source is .Net App Monitoring

Which never occur on the failing domain controllers.

I have not managed to find out exactly how to get it to work again, some just suddenly works after several restarts.
    Other i have to delete the agent in the console, delete the HealthState folder and restart the server.

Any body experinced any similar issues?

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:28 AM

Answers

• This appears to be fixed now, see:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2014/03/03/agents-on-windows-2012-r2-domain-controllers-can-stop-responding-or-heart-beating.aspx

and, for the fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919394

Adrian

• Marked as answer by Kenneth82 Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:19 AM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:33 PM

All replies

• How about restarting the agent service on the affected DC? If no avail, considering event log has not more info, the debugging tool may be required. I will involve another person to help you on this case.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 27, 2014 2:05 PM
  • I see that i forgot to mention that Agent always gives an error message when trying to stop the service.

"Error 1053: The Service did not respond to the Start or control request in a timely fashion"

And i need to kill the process in task manager to restart it.

Once i remove the ADDS managment pack, the agent seems not to have any issues anymore.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:11 AM
  • Am experiencing the same issue here. Only affects 2012R2 domain controllers. I posted about this on http://systemcentercentral.com/ and people there confirm seeing the same issue. I'm hoping that if you disable the .NET App monitoring discovery completely it will fix the issue. I haven't figured out how to do this yet though.
    Friday, January 31, 2014 3:18 PM
  • I am having the same issue.
    Friday, January 31, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Nice.. I have been struggling with this for a few days.. Will definitely watch for a solution.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:48 PM
  • We're having exactly the same issues with 2012 R2 domain controllers and this management pack.

Specifically related to the monitoring pack as the discovery packs go on fine.

We have 3 DCs, the one that is virtual will go offline while the others will start failing to process workflows and the operations manager log will be flooded with EventID 10000.

I've had to remove it to get the agent processing again. 

Sunday, February 9, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Hi,

As it's a false positive, I suggest falling back to the previous MP build as a workaround. As there is no other similar report about this issue, I will keep monitoring. If you are able to raise SCOM CTS incident, I recommend you could raise a ticket and ask SCOM team to debug ADDS MP 6.0.8228.0. It will be more efficient.

Regards, Brian

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:02 AM
  • Failing back to the previous MP Build, makes the agent work fine on 2012 R2 Domain controllers again.

The previous build does not detect Windows 2012 R2 servers as Domain controllers, only 2012 SP1.

Which means no Monitoring of the domain if you only have 2012 R2 domain controllers.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:29 AM
  • Where do we find the previous mp?
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:09 PM
  • I am having the same issue on a Server 2012 R2 Domain Controller in combination with SCOM 2012 R2. The Microsoft Monitor Agent service keeps pausing. I cannot restart it or stop it. I have to kill the health service proces or restart the whole DC in order to get the service started again. After a while the service again goes into pausing state....

Hoping for a resolution soon...

Friday, February 14, 2014 9:24 AM
  • I just rebuilt my lab running 2012 R2 and my DC is working as expected. I understand that you mean that it could be something related to the MP, but APM is also mentioned in the question and that's unrelated to the ADMP.

when did the issue started? did this ever work fine? are you able to reproduce the issue on demand?

Please provide any repro steps, or pattern that you found so I can provide additional feedback on this.

thanks,

Jose

Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:56 AM
  • I just rebuilt my lab running 2012 R2 and my DC is working as expected. I understand that you mean that it could be something related to the MP, but APM is also mentioned in the question and that's unrelated to the ADMP.

when did the issue started? did this ever work fine? are you able to reproduce the issue on demand?

Please provide any repro steps, or pattern that you found so I can provide additional feedback on this.

thanks,

Jose

I can't speak for the poster, but since i'm having the same issue as well i'll throw in my input. It appears that the health service is crashing without fault, as it is impossible to stop the service manually. It has to be killed. It's not a matter of compute resources, as the health monitor processes aren't using any large amounts of ram. 

This has been happening consistently since i installed the AD MP. It affects 100% of my 2012 R2 DCs. It has never worked fine. I can reproduce it on demand. All that is required is to kill the health monitor service, restart it, and wait approximately 10 to 15 minutes. It will hang. Most frustrating is that there are no errors logged, no events in SCOM to correlate with this happening.

The reason APM is mentioned is because the last logged event is always 34218 "The configuration processing is Completed", Event source is .Net App Monitoring"

Monday, February 17, 2014 9:02 PM
  • I have the same findings as snagg641, but i never get the 34218 event when it has issues.

Right after i have installed the agent on a 2012 R2 DC it seems to work for a little while.
    But after the first restart after it starts failing.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:46 AM
  • This is still an issue for us monitoring 2012 R2 DCs..any news?

As stated by others the operations log will show an entry of:- 

event ID 34217 "The Configuration Processesing has started" Event Source is .Net App Monitoring

The log stops being updated until I try and stop the agent which times out via windows control manager and I have to kill the process.

On a working server when 34217 is generated the associated 34218 is usually received about 3 seconds later.

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:42 AM
  • I have went back to the previous version of the MP, although this is not a good solution either.. Anyone from MS looking into this?
    Friday, February 21, 2014 7:18 PM
  • I have the same problem on my home lab with AD on Server 2012 R2 and SCOM 2012 R2.

I have already rebuilt my lab 2 times but everytime I instal the SCOM Agent on my DC after 15 minutes became unresponsive and I can't stop the HealthService, I have to kill the process with Task Manager.

Where I can find the previous version of the AD MP? Thanks

Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:12 PM
  • We have the same problem but is only affecting 2 out of our 4 domain controllers, all 4 DCs are running server 2012 R2.   The last event in the Operations Manager log is:

event ID 34217 "The Configuration Processesing has started" Event Source is .Net App Monitoring

After this there are no more events and the health service appears to hang as the only way of stopping it is to kill the process.

Any further news from Microsoft for a fix ?

Adrian

Monday, March 3, 2014 9:11 PM
  • This appears to be fixed now, see:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2014/03/03/agents-on-windows-2012-r2-domain-controllers-can-stop-responding-or-heart-beating.aspx

and, for the fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919394

Adrian

• Marked as answer by Kenneth82 Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:19 AM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Just added the Update to my LAB environment and it seems to have solved the issue.
    Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:19 AM