none
'Hide Notification Area' feature not in SteadyState RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently just installed the new SteadyState version of the toolkit and found it to be missing something very important. Back with Windows 98 and 2k, I was always concerned that I could not hide the icons in the system tray. That being open would allow users to right-click and open or close most things running on it. With Windows XP and the Shared Toolkit, I was finally able to secure that area, now renamed the notification area. SteadState, however, seems to have left that feature out. This may be a dealbreaker for me, unless someone knows of an easy was to remedy this.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 6:28 PM

Answers

• The 'Hide Notification Area' feature is no longer available in SteadyState any more. Currently we have two alternatives for that:

Option #1:

1.To enable the setting through local group policy:

local group policy->User Configuration->Administrative Templates ->Start Menu and Taskbar->Hide the notification area, enable it.

2.run “gpupdate /force” under the command line to update the policy.

Option #2:

1.Start a registry editor (click Start->run->input regedit).

2.Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer registry subkey to hide the notification area for the current user

Or

navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer registry subkey to hide the notification area for all users.

3.From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value. Enter the name NoTrayItemsDisplay, then press Enter. Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.

4.Close the registry editor and log off or restart the machine for the change to take effect.

Sincerely,

Sammy Yu

Friday, July 6, 2007 10:54 AM

All replies

• The 'Hide Notification Area' feature is no longer available in SteadyState any more. Currently we have two alternatives for that:

Option #1:

1.To enable the setting through local group policy:

local group policy->User Configuration->Administrative Templates ->Start Menu and Taskbar->Hide the notification area, enable it.

2.run “gpupdate /force” under the command line to update the policy.

Option #2:

1.Start a registry editor (click Start->run->input regedit).

2.Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer registry subkey to hide the notification area for the current user

Or

navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer registry subkey to hide the notification area for all users.

3.From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value. Enter the name NoTrayItemsDisplay, then press Enter. Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.

4.Close the registry editor and log off or restart the machine for the change to take effect.

Sincerely,

Sammy Yu

Friday, July 6, 2007 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

The above options seem to be very fiddly and scary for library staff.

The first solution is global for all users, not good for different user requirements

The second solution is also for all users, which means the administrator can't see tray items either, and requires the registry to be edited.

Can Microsoft pleeeease bring back an option to hide the notification area, we don't want shared users to see what back ground apps we are running, as this will expose our vulnerabilities. If they can't see it, they don't know what to hack.

Microsoft programmers please listen to " Security Now " and remember one of the golden rules of security

"Security by Obscurity"

They just shouldn't know what firewall or wireless system we are using Sad

The old Shared Computer toolkit was great for hiding the task bar icons : ) , it was easy to use and allowed trusted users to see the icons if this option was not ticked for them.

Please advise if microsoft will reconsider?

Regards
    Paul
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:21 AM
  •  

Hi Paul,

I understand the inconvenience you have encountered. The reason that we remove this restriction is that it conflicts with the pop up notification for Windows Disk Protection (WDP) and locked accounts. We have reported this feedback to our product team. According to their feedback, a small change will be made to Bubble.exe which creates the notification.

If there is any update, I will post here as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 2, 2007 8:57 AM
  • Hi Shawn

Thanks for explaining why this option was discontinued. Can you please make WDP and locked accounts notification optional as well please. Why tell the user of unknown character more than they need to know?

To have this original option reinstated would make things much easier for normal users. Otherwise it is a scary regedit process......

I came across this possible solution which allows individual user specific changes.

From an account with Administrator level access:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

2. In Regedit, highlight the HKEY_USERS key and go to File, Load Hive.

3.Use the File Open dialog to go to the Documents and
    Settings\<username> folder, where <username> is the account you wish
    to modify.

4.Highlight the NTUSER.DAT file in this folder (usually a hidden file) and
    select Open.

5.You'll be prompted to enter a "Key name". You can use whatever you
    wish, but I use the User's logon name.

6.You can now expand the Hive you just loaded and make any needed
    changes.

7. When finished, highlight this Hive again and go to File, Unload Hive.
    Note: You MUST unload the Hive prior to logging on to the users account.
    Otherwise XP may have trouble loading the user's profile

Extract from www.petri.co.il

Regards
    Paul

Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:38 AM
  •  

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your great sharing. The purpose of the notification is to remind customers to save their work in time. I will forward this feedback to our product team as well. If there is any update on this feature, I will post the information here.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 3, 2007 6:36 AM