none
Additional baseline questions. Switching resources with impact to baseline dates but NOT hours. These seem to be gray areas and I would like to know what the best practice industry standard is on this RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Still having some issues understanding a few things regarding whether I should baseline because it seems like gray areas when it comes to no scope increase but simply moving resoures around and neededing to resequence the order tasks are in.

The plan has been baselined and the budget set with those baselined hours and dates per evcery task in the plan.

The following scenarios do NOT add additional hours but they would have impact on dates.....this is where the gray area comes in.

1. Task A is 40 hours and Pete assigned. No work has begun so I just re-assign George to it. However, George can NOT get to the task in the Baseline time frame and would show that he is late if I left the baseline dates. However, George can complete all his previous tasks plus this one in the required OVERALL timeframe since he was ahead to begin with. He just needs to now do some tasks in a different predecessor sequence than before. If I don't re-baseline pretty much all his tasks because of the resequencing he will show late on every task and yet he can be finished by the overall timeline of the summary task called screen components. Since I am NOT increasing OVERALL scope by even 1 hour but I am chnaging teh baseline dates could I simply re-baseline these tasks. What would be the issue with this?  Earned Value?  

2. Task A UID #1 has 40 hours and only Bill assigned and Bill has completed 20 hours of this task. Bill is being re-assigned to Task 101 because he is the only one that can do that task 101 and it needs to start immediately. Jim will have to complete the remaining 20 hours. I do NOT want to assign Jim directly onto that specific UID #1 Task A. The reason I don't is we link up tasks by Resource as there are no dependancies from one task to another and there are other reasons. I want to create another Task A UID#2 task and place Jim on for the 20 hours. I will close the other Task A UID#1 out at 100% complete. That task UID #1 had 40 hours of budget. Would it be correct to assign Jim 20 hours on the new UID #2 of Task A without a baseline? 

Thanks

Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Hotmail1,

As you would be aware that the EV works on the Cost of resources, Baseline, % Complete, Status Date (if not given then it takes Today as defualt).

Values used in calculation are basically Baseline Duration/Work and actual Duration/Work reported in form of % Complete. Cost are used as multiple.

So to specify on your 2 points :

1. Task A has already passed its Start n Finish but not started, so you reassign it to George.

• If your Work still remains same as Baseline Work/Duration and Cost of George is same as Pete say Std rate  is 1$/hr your EV won't have any impact.
    • But if the Cost of Pete and George varies then you need to re-baseline the task, so that new PV and BAC could be calculated based on the Peter's Std rate.
    • So as per EV remain same if Work/Duration and cost remains same. Dates have impact on other factors like Task's Status Indicator (showing the task as delayed), Baseline comparison (again refelecting Delay) etc. Its delay in term of DATES.

2. Bill assigned on Task B completes it 50% then work on other task, now you want to mark Task B as 100% and create new task with 20hrs or remaining work.

• When you say you want to close Task B marking it as 100% - will you reduce its duration to 20hrs before you close it ? In that case the EV will show CV as positive meaning that Actual cost is less then the Budgeted (Baseline) while still treating it at planned value of 40hrs not 20 hrs.
    • If you assign a new task with 20 hrs and don't baseline it - IT WON't Be calculated in EV Calculations as it doesn't have a baseline and if you baseline it then it will be Planned for 20hrs only and as a seperate task with not linkage to what was budgeted for previous task.

So its entirely a PM's decision and logic to decide when to Baseline the tasks or plan to effectively get EV as well as Schedule Timelines in term of Delay and Status indicators etc.

Sapna S
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:45 PM
  • I agree with Sapna, but you may want to step back and look at the big picture.
     A baseline is to track variance against.  Variance is normal.  The goal
    of project management is not to display no variance, but to explain why variance
    exists and to ensure the client finds that acceptable.  If you continuously
    rebaseline, the client is not getting the message that the project is shifting
    (for whatever reasons, valid or not).  That helps nobody.

A rebaseline event should only happen after you have determined something
    significant has changed, and have gotten approval from your client to rebaseline
    the project.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hello Hotmail1,

As you would be aware that the EV works on the Cost of resources, Baseline, % Complete, Status Date (if not given then it takes Today as defualt).

Values used in calculation are basically Baseline Duration/Work and actual Duration/Work reported in form of % Complete. Cost are used as multiple.

So to specify on your 2 points :

1. Task A has already passed its Start n Finish but not started, so you reassign it to George.

• If your Work still remains same as Baseline Work/Duration and Cost of George is same as Pete say Std rate  is 1$/hr your EV won't have any impact.
    • But if the Cost of Pete and George varies then you need to re-baseline the task, so that new PV and BAC could be calculated based on the Peter's Std rate.
    • So as per EV remain same if Work/Duration and cost remains same. Dates have impact on other factors like Task's Status Indicator (showing the task as delayed), Baseline comparison (again refelecting Delay) etc. Its delay in term of DATES.

2. Bill assigned on Task B completes it 50% then work on other task, now you want to mark Task B as 100% and create new task with 20hrs or remaining work.

• When you say you want to close Task B marking it as 100% - will you reduce its duration to 20hrs before you close it ? In that case the EV will show CV as positive meaning that Actual cost is less then the Budgeted (Baseline) while still treating it at planned value of 40hrs not 20 hrs.
    • If you assign a new task with 20 hrs and don't baseline it - IT WON't Be calculated in EV Calculations as it doesn't have a baseline and if you baseline it then it will be Planned for 20hrs only and as a seperate task with not linkage to what was budgeted for previous task.

So its entirely a PM's decision and logic to decide when to Baseline the tasks or plan to effectively get EV as well as Schedule Timelines in term of Delay and Status indicators etc.

Sapna S
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:45 PM
  • I agree with Sapna, but you may want to step back and look at the big picture.
     A baseline is to track variance against.  Variance is normal.  The goal
    of project management is not to display no variance, but to explain why variance
    exists and to ensure the client finds that acceptable.  If you continuously
    rebaseline, the client is not getting the message that the project is shifting
    (for whatever reasons, valid or not).  That helps nobody.

A rebaseline event should only happen after you have determined something
    significant has changed, and have gotten approval from your client to rebaseline
    the project.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:04 PM