WMC Live TV is lagging since about last week. I can see EHRCVR is hitting my drive at 100 Percent RRS feed

• Question

• The 8.1 OS is installed on an SSD and my recorder storage is set to use a Storage Space consisting of a 4,2 and 1TB drives. After a couple minutes of watching Live TV the show starts to freeze and gets worse each second until it stalls. It is nto a CPU issue since I can move around in the app and stuff just fine. When I open up performance monitor I see the Storage Space is getting hit at 100 Percent. I am pretty sure the app the was at the top of the processes was EHRCVR, if not it was one of the EH* processes. I know the storage space can write fast enough, because I get a steady 60-80 MB a second when copying across the network. And I also don't get this stuttering when I watch TV via an extender, XBOX 360 of course.

So are Storage Spaces not ready for prime time, was EHRCVR updated recently, is Win 7 the last hope for a working OS to be used for Window Media Center?

Thanks,

Phil

Friday, February 14, 2014 3:31 PM

Answers

• Come to find out, Storage Spaces is seriously lacking in diagnostics which is scary since it seems to be advertised as a possible enterprise solution. According to the Storage Spaces control panel it says the array is fine, but the event viewer had several bad block errors logged for one of my drives in the array. Until I can get the drive replaced I disabled it in device manager and now my write speeds are back up to where they should be and there isn't any lag.

I would think that Storage Spaces could match the errors in the event log to the drives in its array and then notify the user of a failing drive. 

Monday, February 24, 2014 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What video card did you installed on your computer?

This issue can be caused by software rendering settings were enabled and instead of hardware accalaries.

Please open the video card control panel and uncheck the option about "Let application handle [video motion capture; rendering], etc"

For more information, please refer to this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/windows-7-media-center-live-tv-keeps-freezing-up/5c971ba6-af1b-4f1b-ab38-8ce1d4f47422

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by kelvin_hsu Monday, February 24, 2014 1:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Developer_46038 Monday, February 24, 2014 8:25 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Come to find out, Storage Spaces is seriously lacking in diagnostics which is scary since it seems to be advertised as a possible enterprise solution. According to the Storage Spaces control panel it says the array is fine, but the event viewer had several bad block errors logged for one of my drives in the array. Until I can get the drive replaced I disabled it in device manager and now my write speeds are back up to where they should be and there isn't any lag.

I would think that Storage Spaces could match the errors in the event log to the drives in its array and then notify the user of a failing drive. 

Monday, February 24, 2014 8:31 PM