What is the optimum cluster size for an NTFS EHD? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Vista 32 bit. Until now I have used FAT32 on a Freecom EHD for Windows back up. I converted this to NTFS expecting better performance but I was gutted to find that it took twice the time to back up 200 GB (about 12 hours) as it did with FAT32.

I was told that the cluster size could be the problem. This was set automatically to 4 KB by Windows disk manager.

The files I'm backing up range in size from small documents through larger media files, typically 10 MB.

Two questions:

Is the cluster size the issue?

And, if yes - what is the optimum.

I guess this is an old question but please help - this is all new to me.

Monday, February 7, 2011 10:10 PM

Answers

• 4kb is the optimum cluster size.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Brij PNE Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:06 AM
  • NTFS is faster than FAT32.  You may wish to contact Freecom support and ask them if there is a firmware update available and if they have any troubleshooting suggestings for their hardware product.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:16 PM

All replies

• 4kb is the optimum cluster size.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Brij PNE Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:06 AM
  • Thanks Carey. I have the cluster size set at 4kb, any ideas on why NTFS is slower than FAT32 - is this normal?
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:31 AM
  • NTFS is faster than FAT32.  You may wish to contact Freecom support and ask them if there is a firmware update available and if they have any troubleshooting suggestings for their hardware product.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:16 PM
  • After some experiments, I've found that simply transferring data (e.g. copying files) is faster with NTFS.

BUT...

Backing up using Windows Vista backup is slower with NTFS.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:15 PM