HELP, Internet Downloads Folder is Empty RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden when I go to my Downloads folder I am getting the following message screen:

"Explorer.exe This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel." I was unable to snip the message and insert into this message.

I have no clue what the message means as to what program should be associated with what in this message. Do You??? I have no way to get to my downloaded files at this time and really hope you can help me fix this mess.

Thanks,

ZigZag42

Saturday, February 17, 2018 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi ZigZag42,

Download this file http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-8317/on.reg and double run it. It will restore the registry settings correctly.

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 17, 2018 5:49 PM
  • Hi ZigZag42,

I guess you double-click or open a specific file (in your Download folder).
    If this is correct, the message means that file extension of the file is not associated with some application.

Please provide its file extension (e.g. .txt, .docx, .jpg, .mp3, and so on).
    And I will be able to show how-to. 
    ("extension" = "file type")

If you cannot see file extension, please do the followings in Windows Explorer/File Explorer:
    (1) select [Computer] in the left pane

(2) [Organize] in top menu > [Folder and search options]

(3) in [View] tab, check - OFF [Hide extensions for known file types] > [OK]

Regards,

Ashidacchi

• Edited by Ashidacchi Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:07 AM
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 1:52 AM
  • Hi,

From the error message, seems that the default association is corrupted.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Use another account to have a test. Log in with a new user account, if the problem has been fixed, then we can try to fix the user profile.

2.Download the correct file association.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 19, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any problems, please feel free to contact me.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:52 AM
  • Any updates?

Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:52 AM