none
Store App error with Redirected AppData: Windows cannot access the specified device RRS feed

• Question

• All of our domain users have roaming profiles and redirected folders, which includes redirected of the AppData(Roaming) folder. All users have Windows 10 1803. We've been on 1803 for several months. We apply Windows Updates to workstations on a weekly basis, so all are up-to-date.

Starting on 10/15/2018, all users that attempt to open Microsoft Sticky Notes will receive the following error: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". In the title bar of the error, you see the path as the AppX path: "C:\Program files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_3.0.118.0_x64_8wekyb3d8..."

However, Sticky Notes still opens normally afterwards, and all existing sticky notes are present. But the error occurs the next time users open Sticky Notes. They can work around by just closing the error, but we do not want this as a permanent solution.

With a test user account that has a Roaming Profile, but does NOT have redirected AppData(Roaming) folder, Sticky Notes opens just fine without any error. So I suspect this is an issue specifically with AppData(Roaming) being redirected.

I have tried the GPO setting: "Allow deployment operations in special profiles" set to ENABLED (under Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment). Unfortunately, that doesn't make any difference.

What is odd is that this started happening only this week and Sticky Notes has been working fine in Windows 10 for several months.

Any ideas are appreciated.

• Edited by DarkMallard Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:31 PM edit
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    According to the error message, it is more likely to be a permission issue.

Has anyone changed the permissions of the AppData (Roaming) folder?
    If the Administrator attempt to open Microsoft Sticky Notes, will he receive the error?

We can troubleshoot the issue according to the following article:
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 3:44 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?
    Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 19, 2018 6:57 AM
  • Same issue here on 1803.

Found this, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c654b173-8c6d-48f6-8fad-fbf35844f80d/roaming-appdata-redirection-causes-apps-from-the-microsoft-store-to-error?forum=win10itprogeneral

Don't want to implement (true) roaming profiles, would like to stick to redirected AppData (Roaming).

Any workaround?

Friday, October 19, 2018 11:38 AM
  • Not a solution for us, but the problem is not present on 1709, but is on 1803 and on 1809 (before 1809 was pulled by Microsoft).
    Friday, October 19, 2018 3:02 PM
  • @Daisy Zhou,

Thank you for your reply. However, I do not believe this is a permissions issue as this suddenly began appearing without any changes to user permissions or directory permissions.

The permissions on the "Program files\WindowsApps" folder is the default settings in Windows 10. It is intentionally locked down by Microsoft. On any Windows 10 installation, even local Administrators do not have access to open this folder. We do not modify permissions on the folder and users do not have administrator permissions to the local workstation.

@Jamie Sandell

This was working normally on 1803 for the last several months until about a week ago now. I had looked at that post as well before posting mine and tried the suggested solutions without success. Since redirection has been working for us for years without issue, we would rather not disable AppData redirection as the AppData folder can grow over 1GB, which makes logon times excessive.

I've also run Process Monitor to check any activity to the AppData directory, but it has not proved fruitful.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:48 PM
  • Hi,
    Can we try to uninstall the Sticky Notes and reinstall it, then view if we can open the Sticky Notes without error.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, October 26, 2018 1:46 PM
  • @Daisy Zhou

We have already tried that on several computers, but the error returns.

Monday, October 29, 2018 6:11 PM
  • Hi,
    We can recreate a new test user, configure roaming profile and redirected folders, includeing redirected of the AppData(Roaming) folder, then we open Sticky Notes to see if the error still exists.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:34 AM
  • We are having the same issue with apps like itunes, and minecraft: education. When folder redirection is configured to point to local profile we get the error. When folder direction is configured to point to H drive, no error. We don't have roaming profiles, or redirect app data.
    Friday, November 16, 2018 1:57 PM
  • We’re having the exact same issue specifically with Minecraft Education which we’re currently deploying, problem is unlike the sticky notes issue, Minecraft completely fails to load! Does anyone have a fix for this? I can’t believe Microsoft can’t get there own Apps to work with AppData Redirection!
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Hi DarkMallard

It was most likely working for a while on 1803, as the base version of 1803 had a bug where it would fail (failure was silent but logged in the Event Viewer) to redirect the appdata folder.

Microsoft released a fix for that particular bug - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4294935/folder-redirection-not-available-for-appdata-roaming-folder-win-10

However still no fix the sticky notes issues. :-( Any joy your side?

Monday, January 7, 2019 12:10 PM
  • Same issue here...when will there be a fix. Uninstall and Reinstall doesn't help.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:29 PM
  • We're having the issue here, we're on 1809.
    Friday, January 11, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Hi @JamieSandell,

Unfortunately, no change here. All our workstations are now on 1809 and the issue continues.

It seems the only workaround right now is to NOT redirect the AppData folder, which is huge because that folder can get quite large in our environment. We also use roaming profiles, so even several hundreds megabytes for each user would be unbearable when hundreds of users are logging on in the morning.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 4:35 PM
  • The issue didn't show on 1709 or 1803. But now that I have updated to 1809 I get the same error. We are using folder redirection, too.  
    Friday, January 18, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Bump.

Issue persists on 10.0.17763.253

Issue persists on 10.0.17763.292

• Edited by czj624 Friday, January 25, 2019 7:04 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 6:52 PM
  • I had the same issue but with Microsoft Office. All was good until I applied Folder Redirection including AppData. If I created a new user and did not apply AppData folder redirection, it would work. As soon as I applied AppData, I would get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" for the Apps I was trying to open.

I ended up finding a why to resolve this. The app was trying to read the folder redirection path as the SYSTEM account which failed because out folder redirection share was restricted to only the Domain Users.

I granted "Domain Computers" read account to the folder containing my users and granted "Domain Computers" read share permissions.

I can now open the problematic Windows Apps. I hope this helps for you too.

• Proposed as answer by Dmitrii Sobolev Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:04 AM
    Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:07 PM
  • I had the same issue but with Microsoft Office. All was good until I applied Folder Redirection including AppData. If I created a new user and did not apply AppData folder redirection, it would work. As soon as I applied AppData, I would get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" for the Apps I was trying to open.

I ended up finding a why to resolve this. The app was trying to read the folder redirection path as the SYSTEM account which failed because out folder redirection share was restricted to only the Domain Users.

I granted "Domain Computers" read account to the folder containing my users and granted "Domain Computers" read share permissions.

I can now open the problematic Windows Apps. I hope this helps for you too.

YES, it works!

Thanks, ShyRonnie2009, we faced this problem today.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:22 PM
  • Hi ShyRonnie2009

Thank you for the workaround. However this isn't what Microsoft recommend for the permissions for user documents/profiles.

Do you know what the security implication is of allowing "Domain Computers" read permissions to the root of the user documents share?

Would that not mean that the system account of the domain computers, including any local admins of a domain computer would be able to read the users' documents?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Jamie

Monday, February 11, 2019 4:48 PM
  • Exactly the same concerns we have with this solution.
    Currently in discussion with Microsoft about this exact same issue as it is effecting all Education Minecraft Applications as well as Sticky Notes in our environment.

Microsoft are going to investigate the code base for us and hopefully come back with the reason why SYSTEM is trying to access %appdata% instead of the Users account and if its something they can fix from a design perspective.

Unfortunate for us if no proper solution is available we will have to resort to disabling Appdata redirects in our environment to solve the problem.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:33 AM
  • Happening also with Power Bi with W10 Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134, looking forward for the solution from Microsoft asap.
    Friday, February 15, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hi Beredan

Thanks for the info regarding you're in talks with Microsoft about this.

Would really appreciate it if you could keep me updated with this on this forum post please.

Sounds promising that someone at Microsoft has acknowledged the issue.

Thank you

Kind regards

Jamie

Monday, February 18, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Looks like fixed on Sticky Notes 3.1.54.0.
    • Proposed as answer by Jamie Sandell Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:59 AM
    Saturday, February 23, 2019 6:58 PM
  • Hi HomeCloset

I can confirm that the issue is still fixed in 3.1.55.0.

I can't find a change log for either 3.1.54.0 or 3.1.55.0.

I've proposed yours as the answer.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:59 AM
  • Also, confirmed for us that this appears to have been corrected with the recent Sticky Notes version update (3.1.55.0).

Perhaps it was Beredan's (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/beredan/?ws=usercard-mini) discussion with Microsoft that lit the fire to get this resolved.

Thank you to all those that contributed.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:31 PM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4493437 - "Addresses an issue that prevents certain apps from launching when you set folder redirection for the Roaming AppData folder to a network path.".

This is the issue I have been in discussion with Microsoft about. Supposedly this should fix it but yet to test it.

Glaf to see that sticky notes managed though to fix there issue individually.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 11:51 PM
  • It didn't fix it :\ 

[Version 10.0.18362.145]

Monday, June 10, 2019 1:47 AM