Tentant to Tenant Migration / Demerger RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are busy with a tenant to tenant migration as part of a demerger process. The current tenant uses Azure AD Connect to synchronize the users from two forests to Azure AD. There is a combination of federated and password hash sync domains. One domain wants to move to there own tenant due to a demerger.

Question.

As part of the domain migration, all references to the domain name need to the removed. If I stop the Azure AD Connect synchronization and run the command "Set-MsolDirSyncEnabled -EnableDirSync $False -Force" to convert the object from managed to cloud, will this have any interruptions to the existing users. I know that there will be no updates until Azure AD Connect restarts, but will there be any outages/interruptions for the users not part of the tenant move?

Any other considerations I need to take into account?

• Edited by mybm3w Friday, June 21, 2019 3:04 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 3:03 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestion. The domain filtering will provide a "risk-free" option for all the other domains not part of the demerger. Will about 150 other domains this might be a safer option.

The filter domain objects in Azure AD will be soft-deleted. I will then need to restore them, update the UPN, proxies and SIP address domain suffix to free up the domain name and move to the new tenant.

Does this sound correct?

Regards,

Anton.

Yes, you could just go ahead!

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by mybm3w Monday, July 8, 2019 3:56 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2019 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi mybm3w,

We have the good option to configure the domain filter to avoid the interruptions to the unmoved users, just select the forest where migrated users are located to be synced by using the Synchronization Service or using the Azure AD Connect wizard.

For more details, see Domain-based filtering.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:55 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2019 8:11 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. The domain filtering will provide a "risk-free" option for all the other domains not part of the demerger. Will about 150 other domains this might be a safer option.

The filter domain objects in Azure AD will be soft-deleted. I will then need to restore them, update the UPN, proxies and SIP address domain suffix to free up the domain name and move to the new tenant.

Does this sound correct?

Regards,

Anton.

• Edited by mybm3w Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:08 AM

Does this sound correct?

Regards,

Anton.

Yes, you could just go ahead!

Regards,

Manu Meng

• Marked as answer by mybm3w Monday, July 8, 2019 3:56 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2019 9:03 AM