none
Unable to remove server from SharePoint 2013 farm

Question

• Hi ,

I had a server in the SharePoint 2013 farm which was not required. It had none of the services on it.

I successfully removed the server using Configuration Wizard and disconnecting the server from the farm.

But it is still showing in the servers in farm page. When I try to remove it from there it gives me error cachehostinfo is null.

It was not part of cache cluster. I only have one server in the farm running the distributed cache service. The correlation IS gives error 

A failure occurred in SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance::UnprovisionInternal. cacheHostInfo is null for host 'servername'.

A failure occurred SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance::UnprovisionInternal()... isGraceFulShutDown 'False' , isGraceFulShutDown, Exception 'System.InvalidOperationException: cacheHostInfo is null     at Microsoft.SharePoint.DistributedCaching.Utilities.SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance.UnProvisionInternal(Boolean isGraceFulShutDown)'

A failure occurred SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance::UnProvision() , Exception 'System.InvalidOperationException: cacheHostInfo is null    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.DistributedCaching.Utilities.SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance.UnProvisionInternal(Boolean isGraceFulShutDown)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.DistributedCaching.Utilities.SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance.Unprovision()'

Please guide me how to remove this from server in farm page.

Best Regards,

Vaibhav Antriwale

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Lisa,

No I didn't got that server from get-spserver.

I then removed the distributed cache instance from those servers using the below commands.

$InstanceName = "SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService";
    $serviceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq $instanceName -and ($_.parent -match "MyServerName")}
    $serviceInstance.Provision(); 
    $serviceInstance.Delete();

Now I am able to add these servers back to farm. Not sure if this was the issue but it somehow worked for me.

Best Regards,

Vaibhav Antriwale

• Marked as answer by VAntriwale Tuesday, April 04, 2017 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, April 04, 2017 10:16 AM

All replies

• Please let me know how to remove the reference of this server from config DB since I have a new request to add this server again the farm for hosting search service dedicatedly on this.

Best Regards,

Vaibhav Antriwale

Vaibhav Antriwale

• Edited by VAntriwale Friday, March 31, 2017 9:38 AM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Try the steps in this link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263130.aspx

I've also had problems disconnect it from the farm in a few ways.
    Eventually one of the methods worked. I believed it was Disconnect-SPConfigurationDatabase

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607702.aspx

Friday, March 31, 2017 11:22 AM
  • Also check if you get a return for get-spserver in the existing farm
    Friday, March 31, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Hi VAntriwale, 

Is there anything update?

As Anthony suggested, using get-spserver to check whether the server is in the existing farm.

To add this server again,refer to the following article to add web or application servers to farms in SharePoint 2013:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261752.aspx

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 9:45 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

No I didn't got that server from get-spserver.

I then removed the distributed cache instance from those servers using the below commands.

$InstanceName = "SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService";
    $serviceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq $instanceName -and ($_.parent -match "MyServerName")}
    $serviceInstance.Provision(); 
    $serviceInstance.Delete();

Now I am able to add these servers back to farm. Not sure if this was the issue but it somehow worked for me.

Best Regards,

Vaibhav Antriwale

• Marked as answer by VAntriwale Tuesday, April 04, 2017 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, April 04, 2017 10:16 AM