none
MS Project 2010 - How to colour tasks in Team Planner RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to find a way to render more value tu the task assignment displayed in the Team Planner view. As an example, each row represents a team member and the tasks assigned to that person. I have created a task custom field named "Locations" which, as you'd imagine, refers at the place where the task will have to take place (same reasoning would apply for instance wit a task custom field titled "Competencies").

I would like to see a different colour by these custom fields, applied to assigned task in the Team Planner view of the resources. For example if Location = Client then colour in red, if Office then blue, if Commuting then green, etc. A high level view would immediately show at what moment everyone is on a given location, who is moving a lot, etc...

Along the same principle, I'd like to switch to another custom view where Competencies would colour the tasks in the Team Planner view of the Resources. This would be extremely helpful for instance when manually reassigning a task to a resource proficient in that competence, grouping tasks of a given required competency among selected individuals, etc...

Obviously a matching correspondence between those values and the colours would have to be created in some table, where either the RGB hex value or the standard colour editor box (like for font and background) should be used.

From what I've seen so far in MS Project 2010, there is nothing readily available to that reach colour customisation in the Team Planner but I was wondering if by using advanced features of MS Project or VB-scripting this would be possible ?

Thank you in advance for your precious advice and support !

Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:35 PM

Answers

• AlterMind64,

As far as being able to set the color for the assignment bars in the Team Planner view, I've got some bad news for you. In Project 2010 there is no formatting for Team Planner bars either manually or with VBA. Whether the Team Planner view has more formatting flexibility in Project 2013 or Project 2016 I do not know, but I doubt it as those more current versions have focused on expanded custom reporting.

I don't find a whole lot of use for the Team Planner view. I guess it was added to provide a graphical option for the Resource Usage view. I think you'd be better off to use the Resource Usage view which can be filtered or grouped to isolate custom field information

However, with regard to setting up custom fields for use in various views you should read the following Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31991.ms-project-data-types-task-resource-assignment.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by AlterMind64 Saturday, October 28, 2017 12:20 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 1:30 AM

All replies

• AlterMind64,

As far as being able to set the color for the assignment bars in the Team Planner view, I've got some bad news for you. In Project 2010 there is no formatting for Team Planner bars either manually or with VBA. Whether the Team Planner view has more formatting flexibility in Project 2013 or Project 2016 I do not know, but I doubt it as those more current versions have focused on expanded custom reporting.

I don't find a whole lot of use for the Team Planner view. I guess it was added to provide a graphical option for the Resource Usage view. I think you'd be better off to use the Resource Usage view which can be filtered or grouped to isolate custom field information

However, with regard to setting up custom fields for use in various views you should read the following Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31991.ms-project-data-types-task-resource-assignment.aspx

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by AlterMind64 Saturday, October 28, 2017 12:20 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 1:30 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks a million for this very fast response, even if it carried bad news indeed ! It nevertheless happens that I have a real business/client need/requirement with the team planner visualisation so I'll seek something as close as possible.

I'll for sure examine the referenced wiki article and get back to you.

Thanks a lot again,

AM.

Friday, October 27, 2017 2:16 AM
  • AlterMind64,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If my response answered your question, please consider marking my response as the answer.

As I indicated in my response, Project 2013 and later have expanded reporting capability (I only have Project 2010). That expanded capability may be a better fit for your reporting requirements.

Another option is to export Project data to Excel for creating custom reporting. I've used this approach many times over the years.

John

Friday, October 27, 2017 1:50 PM
  • Hi again John,

I've looked into the linked article and it indeed clarified a bit more the independence between the three main tables implemented in MS Project (tasks, resources, assignments). It increased somehow a bit more the complexity of what I'd like to achieve, i.e. as it task related information (custom fields for locations or competencies) that I wish to use to customise views in the assignment related view (colouring the team planner).

As you suggested I've looked into the Resource Usage view in some more details but could not find at all any way to render the information I'd like to. I guess this brings me to square zero for this request.

Thanks again for your support,

AM

Saturday, October 28, 2017 12:20 AM
  • AlterMind64,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Yes, Project is more complex than new users realize.

What exactly do you need that the Resource Usage view doesn't provide, other than the graphic element?

John

Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:31 AM