How to get rid of all Windows Update prompts, notifications, taskbar icons, etc? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a limit on how much data is provided by my ISP and since my computer works just fine as-is, I don't it to be downloading updates or even attempting to download updates. This is why I've turned off Windows Updates on every installation I've had since Windows XP. 

Now Microsoft's forcing their suckage on me like I'm some software whore... I DON'T WANT IT. I can't give a flying ferret about security updates, vulnerability fixes, patches, or whatever. I have my system working the way I want it and that's that... except for the Windows Update notifications.

I've used the group policy editor to mess with the settings and I've disabled the Windows Update service, however I still have this annoying and ugly icon on my task bar that's harassing me to check for updates.

I don't have the data to install updates and I sure as hell don't have the desire to do it either, not least because the last time I did it, half my peripherals no longer worked correctly. Is there any way to get rid of this icon?

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Open the Group Policy Editor and navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

Disable following Policies:

• Configure Automatic Updates
    • Specify intranet Microsoft update service location

Enable following Policies:

• Do not allow update deferral policies to cause scans against Windows Update
    • Remove access to use all Windows Update features
    • Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations

Then run following script in the elevated CMD on the computer:

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"

Then disable Windows Update service (wuauserv) in the services.msc.

Check if it works.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:01 AM
  • Hello,

I am reviewing old cases. Have your issue been solved? Or is there any update? Please feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 22, 2018 1:54 AM