none
DPM 2010 backup of clustered HyperV nodes on CSV, backup specific VHDs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a quick question.  The setup is a two node HyperV R2 Failover cluster using a Cluster Shared Volume.  For backup I have a seperate server running DPM 2010.

I need to backup a file server (FILE01) that runs on the cluster as a VM that has a of data on it.  Ideally I'd just select the whole virtual machine for backup, however there is certain data on the file server which I cannot backup for legal reasons.  So that leaves me with installing an agent within the FILE01 VM and doing a standard file backup of the data, deselecting said files.  However to make recovery in-case of disaster quicker and easier I'd still like to do a host level backup of the VM but just capture the VHD file that contains the C: volume, not the E:/F: data volumes.  I have seperate VHD files for each volume.  So the question is can I backup just specific VHD files from a VM?  I understand I could do it if these were regular HyperV servers on local storage, but when the VMs are lcoated on a CSV?

Thanks!

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:16 PM Moving to DPM Hyper-V Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Philip,

The Hyper-V writer does not have any provisions for excluding selected .vhd's from backup.  As a possible workaround, you can select BMR protection for that guest and that will allow you to restore a working operating system in a new VM (.vhd for c:) and then once the O.S. Is running, restore the data for E: and F: volumes.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Philip,

The Hyper-V writer does not have any provisions for excluding selected .vhd's from backup.  As a possible workaround, you can select BMR protection for that guest and that will allow you to restore a working operating system in a new VM (.vhd for c:) and then once the O.S. Is running, restore the data for E: and F: volumes.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:58 PM
  • I thought you might say that, thanks.  Shame as it would be a great feature to have for file servers like this...
    Friday, August 13, 2010 10:38 AM
  • If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it
    Friday, August 13, 2010 11:22 AM