management of content types and presence of "new" button RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please explain to me why I must allow management of content types to enable the presence of the "new" button and associated content type templates?  It would seem to me that while setting up the library (adding content types) I would need to allow management of the content type, but once down, I would want to set it to "No" so end users can't mess around with it.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, the net result of content types; the ability for users to choose what type of content they wish to create. The important thing to note here is that the content will inherit all of the columns and workflow that comes with the content type – even if the library does not.

For example, if you have a standard document library that just has the ‘blank document’ content type associated with it (which is the default) it will not have any columns or workflows. However if you add the ‘expense report’ content type to the library, items created from that content type will have all of the columns and workflows that are required by the content type. These columns can be used in the same way as list-based columns.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, May 16, 2011 10:05 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:24 AM