Having problems backing up a farm in Central Administration in SharePoint 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am trying to backup a Farm for my SharePoint 3.0 environment.  However, when I use the Central Administration tool to backup my server farm, it just hangs at the same place.  Any idea on what could be wrong?

• Edited by Shon_H Friday, November 5, 2010 6:50 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 6:37 AM

Answers

• In addition please note that nither of them will enable you to recover the configuration database and also the central administration data base, or fully recover your customizations. I had a same problem and I desided to use VSS for back up (DPM 2007 is another option but is ot free of charge).
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:10 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 6:52 AM

All replies

• Just for fun, I tried doing the backup using the stsadm command and here is where it gets stuck:

Verbose: Starting object: Windows SharePoint Services Web Application.

Progress: [Windows SharePoint Services Web Application] 50 percent complete.

Verbose: Starting object: SharePoint - 10000.

Progress: [SharePoint - 10000] 50 percent complete.

Verbose: Starting object: WSS_Content_Sharepoint10000.

Verbose: [WSS_Content_Sharepoint10000] SQL Server Connection String: Data Source

=mslt-123;Initial Catalog=WSS_Content_Sharepoint10000;Integrated Security=True;E

nlist=False;Connect Timeout=15.

Verbose: [WSS_Content_Sharepoint10000] SQL command started at: 11/4/2010 11:41:1

6 PM. This command may take a while to complete and without notification.

Verbose: [WSS_Content_Sharepoint10000] SQL Server Command: BACKUP DATABASE [WSS_

Content_Sharepoint10000] TO DISK=@db_loc WITH NAME=@db_name, STATS=5, NOINIT, NO

SKIP, NOFORMAT, NOREWIND

@db_name=WSS_Content_Sharepoint10000, @db_loc=\\acepjm\backup\ps2007\spb

r0000\00000017.bak

Verbose: [WSS_Content_Sharepoint10000] SQL command timeout is set to 1.00 hours.

Friday, November 5, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Hi Shon,

I am not sure what is causing this problem, but I just want to point it out to you that by using Central Adminestration tool you can't schedule the back up however using STSADM command line will enable you to schedul your backups in the daily / monthly bases.

Friday, November 5, 2010 6:50 AM
  • In addition please note that nither of them will enable you to recover the configuration database and also the central administration data base, or fully recover your customizations. I had a same problem and I desided to use VSS for back up (DPM 2007 is another option but is ot free of charge).
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:10 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 6:52 AM