none
Hyper V static IP address, bound to physical adapter in host os, not passing through to VM OS

Question

• I've got a stable windows 2016 server with desktop.

(Server1)

Ethernet 1 10.0.0.3 (Host OS)

Ethernet 2 10.0.0.4 (Virtual Ethernet switch for VM)

I just installed hyper-v. At first I setup a disk of 2.4 tb. and after install the new VM windows 2016 server didn't fire up. Error logs said there wasnt enough space to start it. I deleted it all and started over.

Created new VM, (Server2) and pointed it to open 2.4 tb partition. It installed ok from what I can tell.

The first issue i'm seeing is that the ethernet adapter with ip 10.0.0.4, which i have assigned in the VM properties for Server2 is not passing through the ip address of 10.0.0.4 like i expected it to.

Server 2 will connect to my local network, but only using a dhcp address within itself (vm). I preume this is some issue with the virtual adapter that took over for the physical adapter with ip 10.0.0.4.

I tried to hard code the adapter within the VM OS to 10.0.0.4 but i dont get connectivity.

I intend this vm (server2) to run an exchange 2016 member server so I need to get this sorted out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:19 PM

All replies

• I've got a stable windows 2016 server with desktop.

(Server1)

Ethernet 1 10.0.0.3 (Host OS)

Ethernet 2 10.0.0.4 (Virtual Ethernet switch for VM)

I just installed hyper-v. At first I setup a disk of 2.4 tb. and after install the new VM windows 2016 server didn't fire up. Error logs said there wasnt enough space to start it. I deleted it all and started over.

Created new VM, (Server2) and pointed it to open 2.4 tb partition. It installed ok from what I can tell.

The first issue i'm seeing is that the ethernet adapter with ip 10.0.0.4, which i have assigned in the VM properties for Server2 is not passing through the ip address of 10.0.0.4 like i expected it to.

Server 2 will connect to my local network, but only using a dhcp address within itself (vm). I preume this is some issue with the virtual adapter that took over for the physical adapter with ip 10.0.0.4.

I tried to hard code the adapter within the VM OS to 10.0.0.4 but i dont get connectivity.

I intend this vm (server2) to run an exchange 2016 member server so I need to get this sorted out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:06 PM
  • When you installed the hyper-v role the physical adapter becomes a vSwitch and the host get a new vEthernet adapter. vSwitches do not have internet protocol bound to them so no addressing, you only assign addresses to the vEthernet adapter for each VM and the host. Addressing can be either static or DHCP depending on your requirements. Make sure your new guest vEthernet is bound to an external vSwitch if it needs access outside or to internet.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:05 PM
  • When you installed the hyper-v role the physical adapter becomes a vSwitch and the host get a new vEthernet adapter. vSwitches do not have internet protocol bound to them so no addressing, you only assign addresses to the vEthernet adapter for each VM and the host. Addressing can be either static or DHCP depending on your requirements. Make sure your new guest vEthernet is bound to an external vSwitch if it needs access outside or to internet.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:06 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>Ethernet 2 10.0.0.4 (Virtual Ethernet switch for VM)

As you have seen , the NIC in hyper-v host with name vEthernet( switch-name)  is a virtual NIC for hyper-v host .

In your case , you just need to connect that VM to this switch (in vm settings) then configure IP for VM (same subnet , such as , 10.0.0.5 ), then , you may access the vm from hyper-v host over IP .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:25 AM
  • From your description, it does not sound like you created a virtual switch to be used by the VM.  It sounds like you simply expected the second NIC to be available for use by the VM.  In order for VM to have access to the physical world, you need to define a virtual switch on a physical NIC and then assign a virtual NIC from that virtual switch to the VM.

http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/the-hyper-v-virtual-switch-explained-part-1/ is a good starting point for you to gain an understanding of the basics of the Hyper-V virtual switch.

tim

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:33 PM
  • duplicate post - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c3440ce-76f2-448e-805d-cfa982b0ded1/hyper-v-static-ip-address-bound-to-physical-adapter-in-host-os-not-passing-through-to-vm-os?forum=winserverhyperv

The other post has more answers.

tim

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your replies. I believe i found the issue. While I had made a virtual switch, I found that when I unchecked a box that stated "make the adapter available to the management os", that I was finally able to do what I needed.

I am currently reviewing this setup now and comparing it to VMware offerings and will make a decision which virtual environment I want down the road.

Thanks again,

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:12 AM
  • Hi Sir,

If there is any question regarding hyper-v ,please feel free to post it here .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:47 AM