Installing software on user's PC in no AD environment RRS feed

• Question

• We have Novell server with XP SP3 workstations(~200) that are using Novell Client to log in to network. Novell software distribution tools are not working or I don't know how to use it properly. We will be migrating to Windows 2008 by the end of the year, but in the meantime I need to upgrade Java on user's computers. 

I was trying to create an installation file with elevated user rights (to localadmin) using third party software, it also needed PsExec. Perhaps log can give you more information. 

ocspackage.exe_:_********************************************************
    ocspackage.exe_:_Starting Ocspackager on 25/06/2012 at 11:16:49
    ocspackage.exe_:_Contents: jre-7u5-windows-i586.exe v7.0.50.5
    ocspackage.exe_:_Temp dir: C:\DOCUME~1\PRytel\LOCALS~1\Temp\nsk5B.tmp\
    ocspackage.exe_:_Parameters:  
    ocspackage.exe_:_Install folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\OCS Inventory NG\Agent 
    ocspackage.exe_:_Certificate: No certificate 
    ocspackage.exe_:_File collection:  
    ocspackage.exe_:_Testing current user IsUserAdmin:
    ocspackage.exe_:_User= "PRytel"  AccountType= "User"  IsUserAdmin= "false"
    ocspackage.exe_:_Current user is not admin:
    ocspackage.exe_:_Launching setup by Psexec.exe...
    ocspackage.exe_:_Psexec options: \\localhost /user:administrator /pwd:********
    ocspackage.exe_:_Waiting for Psexec.exe log:.1
    ocspackage.exe_:_============== Start of Psexec.exe log =============

PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
    Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Access is denied.
    Connecting to local system...

Starting PsExec service on local system...

Could not start PsExec service on PLWAWD501:
    Connecting to local system...

ocspackage.exe_:_============== End of Psexec.exe log ==============
    ocspackage.exe_:_End of ocspackage.exe on 25/06/2012 at 11:17:01

Maybe you can advise me on better/easier way to install software as standard user on XP. I cannot add users to admin group and of course want to avoid installing manually on user's machines. Any advise is appreciated. Exe file with extra rights will do just fine, I could distribute it to users and they can install it. I've heard that VBS files can also do the trick and run some exe as administrator. Unfortunately I don't have real experience in VBS programming so I will need exact code...

[OFFtopic] Please advise on some Microsoft course that could teach me VBS, I think it might be very useful to know how to use it.

Sorry if I posted in wrong forum, there was non for XP (XP is not supported?)

Thank you for any hints!

Piotr

• Edited by OSCE ODIHR Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:13 AM
    • Moved by Nicholas LiModerator Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:22 AM Windows XP issue (From:Windows Vista Deployment and Imaging)
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:12 AM

All replies