none
installing hyper-v server for the first time

Question

• when isntalling  my first hyper-v server(not server with hyper-v role), do i need to create a domain on my first hyper-v server?

also, can i configure that first installed hyper-v server from my w10 pro client that is tresiding in a workgroup, not in a domain?

Monday, March 06, 2017 12:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you configure remote administration (it is described in the link above) You don't need to add hyper-v manager. In RSAT Tools you need to right-click on all servers and select add servers and add your hyper-v host there.

Next when you add it you need to right click on that hyper-v host and select manage as and type in credentials of that hyper-v so that you can manage it. Last step is to right-click on that hyper-v (in rsat) and choose Hyper-V Manager

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Monday, March 06, 2017 2:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by enlil Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:47 PM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Hi Sir,

Please check the following part in article below :

"

Connect to a Windows 2016 or Windows 10 remote host outside your domain, or with no domain

"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/compute/hyper-v/manage/remotely-manage-hyper-v-hosts

Hope it is useful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Hyper-V standalone server does not need to be domain joined so the answer is no. 

When you configure standalone hyper-v you will need to configure it remotely so the answer is yes. You will be able to configure it from your windows 10 machine as well. Just be sure to fix firewall and remote administartion on hyper-v so that you can administer it from your windows 10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Monday, March 06, 2017 12:29 PM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 12:25 PM
  • thanks, how should i fix the firewall and the remote adminsitration? do i need extra rights? And how do i ened to configure the hyper-v to accept the remote?
    Monday, March 06, 2017 12:29 PM
  • on my w10 i did install rsat and did add the hyper-v manager through features. So now i should start the hyper-v manager on my w10 and somehow add the hyper-v server? 
    Monday, March 06, 2017 1:25 PM
  • Did you follow the instructions in the link provided by Nedim?  It provides step-by-step instructions on how to manage from RSAT, including connecting to the Hyper-V Server.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, March 06, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

Did you configure remote administration (it is described in the link above) You don't need to add hyper-v manager. In RSAT Tools you need to right-click on all servers and select add servers and add your hyper-v host there.

Next when you add it you need to right click on that hyper-v host and select manage as and type in credentials of that hyper-v so that you can manage it. Last step is to right-click on that hyper-v (in rsat) and choose Hyper-V Manager

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Monday, March 06, 2017 2:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by enlil Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:47 PM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Hi Sir,

Please check the following part in article below :

"

Connect to a Windows 2016 or Windows 10 remote host outside your domain, or with no domain

"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/compute/hyper-v/manage/remotely-manage-hyper-v-hosts

Hope it is useful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:13 AM
  • ok. thanks all for the help
    Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:47 PM
  • one more question, in which situation will i add a hyper- server to a domain?
    Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:51 PM
  • "in which situation will i add a hyper- server to a domain?"

When you want to configure management in the easiest manner possible.  If there is no need to provide the physical isolation of the host from the domain, then it makes complete sense to have the Hyper-V Server as part of the domain.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 3:56 PM
  • am getting a credssp error, anyone who can tell me where it went wrong?

thanks

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:34 AM
  • This question is completely different from the first post, and this stream has been marked as answered.  You should open another stream and provide more information about how you got this error. Simply saying that you received this error, without knowing the environment in which it occurred and the actions taken to get it, makes it difficult to guess a solution.

Monday, March 13, 2017 12:46 PM
  • actually it isn't, the error is due to the above mentioned links . But i created a new help request that is pointing to this post.
    • Edited by enlil Monday, March 13, 2017 1:08 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 1:06 PM