Issues with NTFS permissions after DSF replication RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Disaster Recovery site where all my File Server data is being replicated using DFSR. The data is being replicated fine. However, I found some issues with the NTFS Security Permissions. Those are not getting replicated properly. Any known issues with DFSR? and how do I resolve it? The data is big in size and its very difficult to check each and every file and folder.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As permission settings are not replicated and it is hard to check each folder for the issue, it may need some time to fix the issue.

You can first find a replication group which has incorrect permission settings (and has a small size), delete the backup and let DFS re-replicate to see if permission issue will be fixed.

Also you can try to run the "Replicate Now" to see if issue can be fixed.

If still not, you may need to do the steps I provided, or directly use Robocopy with /secfix parameter to update all permission settings.

Robocopy

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(WS.10).aspx

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:07 AM

All replies

• Security settings should be replicated as well.

Let's have a test on the following steps to reset the Primary member:

DFSRADMIN Membership Set /RGName:<replication group name> /RFName:<replicated folder name> /MemName:<member you want to be primary> /IsPrimary:True

DFSRADMIN Membership Set /RGName:<RG> /RFName:<RFN> /MemName:<member> /IsPrimary:True

Force AD Replication with:

REPADMIN /syncall /Aed

Force DFSR to poll AD on all servers with:

DFSRDIAG POLLAD /mem:<servers>

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I have around 40 servers acting as a Primary member and I dont know which replication member is not getting correct NTFS permissions replicated. So in that case do I need to run these commands for all the Primary members?

Cheers,

Jeet

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Hi,

As permission settings are not replicated and it is hard to check each folder for the issue, it may need some time to fix the issue.

You can first find a replication group which has incorrect permission settings (and has a small size), delete the backup and let DFS re-replicate to see if permission issue will be fixed.

Also you can try to run the "Replicate Now" to see if issue can be fixed.

If still not, you may need to do the steps I provided, or directly use Robocopy with /secfix parameter to update all permission settings.

Robocopy

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(WS.10).aspx

Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I will try these steps and will let you know the result.

Cheers!

Jeet

Monday, October 18, 2010 11:49 AM